Epilogue

When Alana Bloom had received the most earth shattering phone call of her life, choked sobs could be heard from her room. Chiyoh rushed by her side, worried that someone may have been attacking her. But the information they discovered was far worse.

They dressed in semi-formal clothing, the car ride to their destination silent. No words were shared between them, and silent tears cascade down their cheeks.

"They were found dead?" Alana asks the coroner quietly.

She and Chiyoh were standing in the morgue to identify two bodies, to see for themselves that Hannibal and Will were truly gone. The room smelled of death, a smell so lost, yet so putrid, it was overwhelming.

"Yes, ma'am," the coroner confirmed. "The two were found at the bottom of the bluff, holding each other closely."

Chiyoh stares blankly at the cold bodies. "How did they die?"

"Severe trauma to the brain. Their skulls cracked open when they fell. If the fall didn't somehow kill them, the blood loss did, and there would be no way they could move. All of their bones were shattered and broken." He pauses. "Almost morbidly poetic...don't you think?"

--*--

"So..." Alana began quietly.

"They're really dead," Chiyoh finishes.

The two women were in a coffee shop, though they hadn't touched their drinks. The people filling the shop seemed so happy. So carefree. As if everything was all right in the world, when, in truth, it was coming to an end.

"I knew it was a bad idea sending Will out alone. I wish I would've gone with him."

Chiyoh places her hand over Alana's. "They're in peace now. Hannibal and Will were always conjoined. And now they're whole with one another."

Alana gazed out of the window. "I truly hope so. Adieu, my friends."

Chiyoh holds up her flask. "別れ."

The two women take a swig from the flask, and didn't dote any longer on the two deceased lovers.