Chapter Seven

Darkness, if it had a feeling, would be cold, yet burning hot at the same time. Tattered souls that seek some form of light, grasp onto the wickedness to remain afloat, a curious future beholding nothing but withered monstrosities that promise and evoke fear. Some say they'd rather be feared than loved, for fear is a derivative line of work they tend to utilize as a striking approach to attain motivation from those below them. How do we decipher truly what is right from wrong? There will always be millions upon millions of opinions on what may be the right or wrong way to handle a situation.

But Will was encased in darkness. It was a thick blanketed force that unreasonably enveloped his entire being, each and every atom in his body coating in the most subtle yet destructive way possible. He was fighting it, trying to push it out of his system, hoping and praying that the oozing clench of its depravity would escape from him, and would break the shackles of this obscurity. The fee would be his soul. But the Devil truly basks in the satisfaction of desperation from a creation of God.

❝♞❞

Will woke to the feeling of a soft, wet surface being grazed against his cheek. The faint scent of dog food intruded his nostrils, a quiet pant leaving thick, hot breaths on his cheek. The male allows his eyes to flutter open, soft rays of sun beaming through the pockets of clouds. They peeked through the mahogany curtains that hung slightly ajar, warmth immediately encasing his entire body. He sits up slowly in the bed he rested in, tired eyes sluggishly gazing down at the pet who awoke his deep slumber. A slight smile is brought to his lips once he realizes that it's Winston, his big eyes staring up at Will, as if he expected a treat or reward for waking him up. The owner of the pet glides his slim fingers through the comforting coat of fluffy fur, chuckling under his breath at the satisfied sound Winston releases as he's shown treatment.

Will continues to stroke the dog's fur as he averts his gaze and begins to study the mysterious room he's woken up in. It was a decently sized room, vaguely decorated with white trim and nude painted walls. A picture frame that encased some sort of garden hangs on the wall directly in front of his bed, and to its left is a gaping window with the mahogany curtains draped over it. The wooden floors were finely polished, and he recognized it to be a dark walnut wood. A quaint, bedside table resided by his bed, which must've been a queen, with a plain lamp resting on the surface. If Will looked out of the glass window, he saw nothing but nature surrounding the residence, a sight that he immediately fell in love with.

"Where am I, hm?" Will faintly asks them dog, as if he were to actually answer.

"I didn't want to wake you in the car," a smooth voice replies gently. Will looks away from the window and his eyes are met with his lovers'. "I carried you in, and allowed the both of us to rest."

"Bridal style?" Will remarked amusedly.

"Is there any other way to properly hold your lover?" Hannibal smiles slyly, seating himself on the edge of Will's plush bed. It was abnormal for Will to see Hannibal in anything but a suit, albeit this very casual look on the older man was a sight for sore eyes. His hair was slightly tousled, out of place, and he bore a plain white t-shirt with a pair of black sweats.

Will scoots a bit closer to Hannibal, inhaling deeply. "This is a nice look on you, Dr. Lecter."

Hannibal leans forward and places a gentle peck on Will's lips, smiling slightly. "It's not a look I particularly care for, but I must say, even in the mornings, you look absolutely stunning. Though I believe I love you most when you look terribly angry with me."

Will releases a laugh. "I'm always angry with you," he teased.

"Must be why it's my favorite look, I see it so often, I've grown fond of its familiarity." Hannibal stands to his feet once again, grabbing Will's hands with his own. "Care to join me for some..." he pauses to glance at the clock in the room, "brunch?"

"What's on the menu for today?" Will stands with Hannibal, looking up at him. He realized that if Hannibal maneuvered himself a certain way, the light would hit his eyes just right, and the iris would flash Will a brilliant gold. It almost resembled the color of melted gold intertwined with the embers of a sizzling fire. God's eyes must look like this, he thought to himself as they sauntered down the stairs, hand in hand.

"Oh a wonderful delicacy you can only find in certain parts of the world, and even when you find yourself in those parts, you must search thoroughly." Hannibal seated Will at the table, and placed a bowl in front of him.

"...Hannibal, is this-...is this oatmeal?"

Hannibal shrugs as he sits down in front of Will. "I wasn't referring to the oats, William." He chuckles softly. "I was referring to the yangmei, also known as Chinese bayberry. It's what's inside, not out."

"That was cheesy," Will retorts, taking a bite of his meal. "I- oh- wow-" Will peeks down at the crimson colored berries that were now crushed and seeping into the oats to color them a light red, the mixture now more vibrant in coloration. "It's light..sweet...very tart."

"They aren't usually sold until May, but I happened to stumble upon them and insisted on getting them."

Will snorts. "Judging by the name, I'd say these originate in China."

"That is correct."

"But we're in France."

"Also a very accurate statement."

"And you just stumbled upon these?"

Hannibal nods. "Yes."

"By chance?" Will presses.

"Always."

"You just- found them in the woods around our home?"

"Precisely."

"Are you seeing my issue here?"

Hannibal thinks for a moment. "Mm...no."

Will rubs his eyes and takes another small bite of the flavorous food, staring down at the bowl. And then he pushes his chair behind him, treks into the kitchen, and opens the pantry door. He begins to use his hands to rummage around in the gaping area, head tilted at an angle.

Hannibal soon appears behind him, peering over his shoulder. "What are you doing, Will?"

"Looking for cereal." He glances over at Hannibal, who seems to have gone pale. "Wha- Why are you giving me that look?"

"Why on earth would you want to fill your stomach with such impurities? Cereal is packed full of synthetic sugars and dyes of all sorts to make the little ones's taste buds sizzle for its flavor- why are you looking at me like that?"

"You really want to talk to me about what I do and do not put in my body?" Will raises a brow.

"...that isn't fair, and you know it."