Chapter Nine

Will had fallen asleep on Hannibal's chest after their intimate few minutes with one another, the sun beginning to set along the horizon. A serene-like setting had established itself around them, the peaceful aura a pleasant change of pace. The air surrounding them thinned from its usual humid temperature to a more cool breeze, the trees swaying gently from side to side along with the wind. From this close proximity from the edge of the forest, Hannibal could hear the faint rustling of leaves rubbing stems against one another. If he looked closely enough, he could make out the prominent veins that were connected to the one another harmoniously.

The pastel flowers scattered around the meadow seemed to be carefully spread out, as if God had taken his time on organizing it to make such a lovely concoction. Warm scents radiated from the silk-like petals, wafting from the array of flora; it was welcoming. Fresh. Alluring. The perfect place to make love. He was more than satisfied with the events that had transpired, especially here, in this spot.

Hannibal was currently in deep thought, contemplating on what the couple's next move would be. It was a peculiar thing, love. The chances of finding such a compatible other half were slim to none, at least in his case. It was true that he regarded himself to be beyond such romanticized idealities, that never in his lifetime would he have found someone to love more than himself. Never before would he have thought anyone could love him the same.

Peeking down at the smaller man, Hannibal somewhat smiles to himself. Will looked so peaceful when he slept now, and it was a refreshing image. Prior to coming together, he knew his lover had awful night terrors that often leaked into his state of consciousness, haunting and maiming him. He'd been through so much, seen too many harrowing aspects of life that no living soul should ever have to see. Things such as those were only meant for the damned and the Devil. It was delightful knowing that they'd halted, for the most part. Will was more than deserving of at least a peaceful sleep.

Hannibal pushed aside some of the deep brown locks of hair from Will's face, watching the bountiful curls move from his eyes. He often watched over his lover while he slept; although he would never admit it aloud, there was a certain amount of uneasiness that nestled itself inside of him, worried that something may happen to Will, or that he may depart away from him.

These thoughts alone were enough to cause Hannibal's arms to tighten around his invaluable suitor. What he would do if Will ever left him, he didn't know. Life without one another wasn't imaginable, and he refused to even entertain the idea. He was never one to daydream, but Hannibal couldn't eradicate his wants for the future. He pictured them growing old with one another, just enjoying each other's company. Marriage was never something that he was concerned with, albeit Will was an entirely different prospect. Their stories had been woven together by a higher ethereal being, carefully colliding the two of them together. How wonderful it'd be to--

"Winston?" Hannibal calls, noticing Will's dog trotting urgently towards him. "What's got you looking so glum, hm?" He tried to speak as softly as possible so as not to wake Will, carefully setting the boy onto his back and away from Hannibal.

Using his slim digits, Hannibal promptly buttoned up his shirt and knits his brows together. Something felt off. Dogs had keen senses, and could often tell when something was amiss. Standing from his sitting position, he stares down at the dog, wondering how he'd gotten out in the first place.

"What's this under your snout?" he queries, kneeling down in front of Winston.

Hannibal places his hand under the dog's chin, elevating it to get a better look. A deep frown replaces his curious expression, recognizing the red splotch on his fur as blood. Leaning in, he takes a deep whiff of the drying substance, raising his brows afterwards.