♞ Chapter 5 ♞

Chapter 5

Just as Doc had said, by nightfall Myley was running a fever. deliriously lost in her nightmares, she cried and fought an unknown assailant. Harley's heart tore to pieces when she started crying his name. Unable to stand it any longer he leaned over her and softly called her name.

"Myley honey, I am here, you are safe." Her crying stopped but her pitiful little body still trembled, "Harley?" She croaked through a dry unused throat. "Yea baby." He whispered to her, "Oh Harley, I am so sorry. I tried to fight Colt off, even then I was waiting......thank God he gave up....." Her words trailed off as she fell back into slumber. Thankfully no one was in the room but Harley and Kevin but Kevin seemed just as upset by Myley's words as Harley himself was.

For hours they watched her fight her demons calling out to her mother, one of the brothers or simply crying for Harley asking him not to leave her again. It tore his heart out and finally after the first rays of morning rose her fever broke. They ladled some soup into her mouth and then crawling up into the bed beside her Harley finally slept and waited for her to awaken.

Harley felt her small hand on his cheek and smiled before he opened his eyes. "Hey there baby." He rasped before he leaned over and kissed her nose. "How you feeling? Gave us quite a scare there." He told her and Myley saw the fear in his eyes he tried to hide.

"I am sorry Harley, I never meant to worry anyone." Myley replied with tears in her eyes, feeling bad that she had worried her family. Harley tried to soothe her, "Hey now, I reckon you owe me a world of worry after the many times I left here riding the circuit and left y'all here to worry after me huh?" He said softly as he stroked her face. Myley smiled at Harley before he kissed her deeply yet softly and then he rolled out of bed to go around to holler down the stairs. "Mrs. B., Myley is awake." He called down to her before closing the door and turning back to Myley. "How about a warm bath baby? We have to be careful not to get your bandage wet but I think we can manage to let you have a little soak and wash your hair." Myley smiled and nodded and Harley went to draw her a warm bubble bath.

Harley started the water and then sat himself on the lid of the toilet in the bathroom. Bowing his head he took a minute to thank God that he hadn't took the one last thing important to him away and then he composed himself from the urge to cry for the first time since he lost his mother. Walking back into the bedroom he looked at Mrs. B with a challenge in his eyes. "I am going to give Myley a bath Mrs. B. can you rustle her up some soup while I do?" He asked her daring her to argue him giving Myley a bath. Mrs. B. smirked, "I can manage that Harley," and then to Myley she said, "I am so glad you are awake and doing better baby, I will go fix you some lunch." She said as she left out the door.

Harley walked over to the bed and gently picked Myley up. "Harley I can try to walk." She protested weakly. "I am sure you can baby but I am not inclined to allow you to." He said stubbornly as he carried her inside and stood her on her own two feet. Slowly he pulled her nightgown over her head and stood looking down at her naked and mouthwatering body. "you are so beautiful." He whispered before he again picked her up and set her down in the hot tub. Myley gasped at first and then moaned as the water began to help her sore muscles. Harley soaped a wash cloth and slowly soaped up her body. careful not to let ger nakedness effect him because this wasn't the time.

They sat in silence as Harley washed her, allowing her to soak her sore muscles and relax. He knew she would be asking questions soon enough. Questions he had no answers to.

Slowly Myley sighed as she relaxed, "Do they know who?" Was all she said and Harley sighed in return, "No baby. We have no ideas yet." She nodded silently and said not another word as he pulled her back out of the tub dried her off and slipped a new nightgown over her head. Carrying her back into the room he laid her back in bed seeing that Mrs. B. had changed her sheets.