Chapter 6: Women and Men

I followed slowly behind Lauren who had the exact same look on her face as she turned around and looked at me. I shrugged my shoulders and continued walking forward, my nerves getting the upper hand in the battle for self-control. I wanted to run and hide in a small closet and never come out as my mind raced with possibilities of what would happen once we reached the library.

I entered the room, my eyes looking to all the women in confusion. Lauren stood next to me and grabbed my hand making me smile. We were in this together, whatever it is.

“What’s really going on?” Lauren’s mom was the first to speak making us shake our heads. This wasn’t going to be some serious talk obviously. They were just being curious and wanted all the details.

“Nothing! We just need some sort of adventure. We’re always with you guys and not that we don’t have fun but we need to get away and be teenagers, you know? Forget about our circumstances and enjoy the open road.” Lauren said perfectly, me nodding in agreement.

“So this isn’t some secret plan for all of you to run away and never come back? Because you know we can hire a search party for you all and you will be grounded for life once we find you.” Jake’s mom said causing the pair of us to laugh. All at once, five pairs of eyebrows shot up making us calm down. They were serious about this.

“No. We’re planning to come back. Are you kidding? Who would ever want to leave this? We literally have everything!” I said to them.

“Which is why we were all confused about your little proposition. I mean you said it yourself, you have everything. Why would you want to escape that?” Mom’s friend Alex had said.

“We need to know what it’s like to not have everything. To have to cook food instead of looking to the chefs, to drive along an open road instead of being chauffeured, to live without our parents basically making the decisions for us.” I said to them as their faces contorted into understanding. I smiled at them as they all came forward to give us hugs.

“We get it girls. Now, Kat honey you can go, we have to ask Lau some more questions.” My mom said to me making me confused as I left the room. What are they going to ask her that I couldn’t be there for? Shrugging it off, I went to head back into the living room when I heard voices.

“You are their protection, okay? No letting them talk to strange boys or girls.” The voice of what I thought was David said which made me chuckle. He was speaking to them like he would to Toby.

“Forget that! Keep your hands off my daughter alright? I don’t want you all to come back and I find out that you and her are an item. And I really don’t want to hear that she’s not innocent anymore, got it?” I heard my dad bellow into the room. I smiled as I imagined him pointing at Jake.

“Cool it. My boy knows how to treat a girl and wouldn’t do anything like that. Right Jake?” Will said to him and I heard the snickers of Charlie and Jesse. I chuckled too but apparently it wasn’t as silent as I had hoped.

“What was that?” I heard Gabe call out as I turned red and stood still. I heard the distinct sound of footsteps and before I could run I heard my name being called by Jake.

“Oh hey! What were you doing in there?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant while combing my hair with my fingers. He smiled at me and gave me a look that made me roll my eyes and follow him into the room. All eyes were trained on me as I made my way to the spot next to Charlie who uttered a ‘smooth’ as I plopped down.

“How much did you hear?” Jesse asked the question that made my face turn even redder. They all laughed at that, knowing that I had heard the mini monologue my father produced to Jake. He smiled at me and I returned it while looking around. Shock covered my features as I noticed Dana sitting at the end of the couch.

“What’s he doing in here?” I asked them and they laughed.

“Dana’s growing up. He deserves to hear what we’ll be eventually telling him again.” They said making me roll my eyes. He looked proud to be finally included in a conversation with the older kids and I didn’t want to spoil his fun.

They were about to go into another conversation, hopefully not involving my innocence when the women all walked through the opening.

“What’d we miss?” Alex asked and I groaned while falling back into Charlie. I looked over and saw a pointed look coming from Jake that had me sitting up again and smiling to myself. His possessiveness didn’t really show all that much but when it did, it made me feel special.

“You all can go up to Kat’s room now. We’ll be waking you really early to shop for the things you’ll need for this trip tomorrow so I would advise you get some sleep but I know that you won’t.” Will said and we all chuckled while heading up the stairs. As soon as we were out of the view of the living room, Jake wrapped his arms around my waist and guided me behind our friends. I looked into his eyes for a second before kissing his cheek and hugging him closer.

“Dude! They’re actually letting us do it! Honestly, I knew it would work the whole time. I don’t know why you all were so nervous.” Jesse said making all of us turn our heads in his direction. While we were creating the plans for the trip, he was the one mumbling that they would never go for it and we should give up. Lauren smacked him upside the head once and we all laughed, me falling onto my bed in content.

“I live for road trips!” I said dreamily while staring at the ceiling. I heard the soft thuds coming from every part of the bed making me believe that they had followed suit and were also lying on my bed. I glanced over to see Jake’s smiling face just to make sure. His hands entangled into mine and we were all just sitting happily.

“I can’t wait! Do you guys think we should vlog it? We could be like Louis!” She squealed in the ear of Charlie who let out a groan.

“Cool it with the screeching Lau. We can vlog it if you guys want to. I think it’d be cool to look back and show our kids the awesome trip we took when we were this age.” He said and I nodded my head. Everyone else must have agreed to it too because it was quiet.

“We’re just going to sleep like this.” Jesse said and everyone else was too tired to disagree. Who knew that convincing our parents could be so draining? I felt a small squeeze on my hand and looked to Jake who held his arms out. I smiled and went to lay on top of him, my head placed on his chest. I felt him nuzzle his nose into my hair and I fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat.

************************************************************************************************************

*Ends chapter with sleeping characters like usual* Sorry if this is short! Busy weekend but Hi guys!

So I realized that I forgot to put my little announcement on the bottom of the last chapter so I'll do it now.

I've started my Cole story and it's so freaking cute! I love it and i know I'll love writing it. There's just one thing missing and I was hoping you all could help me. I've seen a lot of writers do this so I wanted to incorporate whoever wants to in it. I need the main character to have a best friend so PM me if you're interested. The winner will be notified in PM but I'll find ways to incorporate everyone into it! It'll be fun times :)

The story is called Be Mine and the first chapter is uploaded now so hooray! In other news, I'm eating snickers flavored yogurt and two day old Jiangs. And, I just noticed the little dedication button on the side so I'll go back and do that tomorrow for all you lovely people who have had dedications in the past.

Speaking of, and this is so long overdue but this chappie is dedicated to 5er_1_4_3 for being amazing and writing really good stories! Her comments on Escape made me crack up too so yeah go read Through The Fire becuase feels omg feels!

This was so long omfg sorry!

LLOOVVEE YYOOUUSS .xXXXXxx