Chapter 39

"Freddy." The sound of Renee's voice echoed through the quarters again sounding as urgent as the first which made them freeze.

Fred and Mia frowned and looked at each other.

"Go answer." Mia pushed against him as she unwrapped her legs from around him and got back on the ground.

Fred walked briskly to his room and grabbed the remote to answer.
"Renee?"

"Oh, Freddy," Renee said sounding somewhat ecstatic. "Your dad's awake."

Fred exhaled slowly as a smile found its way to his lips.

His dad had been slipping in and out of consciousness for the few days they'd been on the island, he hadn't gotten the chance to really talk to his dad asides the short 'Hey son' and 'Hi dad' conversations they had.

Fred's caught something shift in his peripheral and he turned to find Mia leaning against the doorpost smiling. He smiled back at her. He threw the remote on the bed as he got up and walked to her. She wrapped her arms around him when he wrapped his around her and picked her up.

"Go see him." Mia caressed the side of his face when he placed her back on the ground.

"You're coming with me."

Her face was one of shock.
"I can't meet your dad like this."

Fred looked at her dress and back up at her, the look in their eyes telling the other they were both thinking about what had just happened.

"Give me ten minutes."

"Three." He said.

"Eight."

"Five."

She sighed.
"Five."

"Good." He kissed her forehead. "Now go."

She smiled and turned around to leave only to have Fred tap her ass and she smiled back at him and she left his room and went straight to her to freshen up.

Just as Fred arrived outside Mia's room after he had freshened up, Mia's door swung open and she stepped out smiling at him in fitted jeans and a cropped hoodie.

"You look good." He smiled as he took her hand.

"So do you." She looked at him in his dark jeans and dark high neck long-sleeved sweater.

Damn.
She thought as they walked down the stairs.
Her man was good looking as fuck.

They arrived at his dad's quarters to find Marty and Renee up the stairs outside the bedroom. Fred went to walk through the door but Mia stood in her spot and tightened her grip on his hand making him stop and look at her.

"Come."

She exhaled and nodded.
Fred hadn't really spoken to his dad and she wanted his first time since they arrived to be by himself but if he wanted her there then she would gladly go with him.

Fred walked ahead of her into his dad's room with Mia behind him. Dr. Campbell was checking up on him when they entered his room.

"Dad?" Fred called and his dad looked up at him with a smile.

"Freddy." Fred smiled, hearing his dad call him that.

"All good." The doctor said. "You just need more rest, no leaving this room until I tell you it's ok to."

"Thank you, Henry." Fred's dad said to Dr. Campbell.

"Good to see you up, old friend." Henry smiled as he rose from the side of the bed. "I'll see myself out."

"Thank you," Fred said as Henry took his leave.

"Ah." Fred's dad said when he noticed Mia. "Who have you brought along with you, Freddy?"

"Dad," Fred said as he pulled Mia closer to him and in front of his dad. "this is Mia."

"Mia," His dad said.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Zahn." Mia smiled. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired, but you're a sight for sore eyes and a tired heart, so I feel better already."

Mia smiled
"I'm glad to be of help in any way, Mr. Zahn."

"Nonsense, call me Umar." He said patting the side of his bed. "Here; have a seat."

Mia wasn't sure why she was nervous but she sat down with Fred behind her, a hand on her shoulder.

"I wish we were meeting under better circumstances."

"Nothing better than the present."

"I'm glad you're feeling better."

Umar smiled.
"So tell me, where did my Freddy find you?"

"Leicester," Mia said. "He was there on business."

"Always working this one." Umar looked at Freddy.

"He makes time for the people he loves."

Umar looked at her then.
"He does, doesn't he?" He looked at Fred. "She's a keeper."

"And I plan on keeping her."

Mia looked behind at Fred.
"Not if I don't want to be kept."

Umar laughed.
"You've definitely found your match." He said. "I'm glad you've moved on from Natalie."

Fred looked at Mia at the mention of his ex-girlfriend's name.

"I'm going to let you two catch up." Mia rose from the bed.

"You come by anytime girly," Umar said which made her smile and nod.

Fred watched Mia leave the room without a backward glance.

"I gather you haven't told her."

"Oh, she knows about Natalie but we haven't discussed it."

"You love her." Fred smiled and sighed, sitting next to his dad.

"I do."

"Then you shouldn't keep anything from her, even if you don't think it matters; it matters in the end."

Fred looked at his dad.
"This is about you and mum."

"Your mum and I love each other, there were just things about the past she found out which I had forgotten about."

"Dad, whatever it was, mum had forgiven you a long time ago," Fred said. "You have to return home."

His dad sighed.
"I will son, I will." He tapped Fred's hand. "Now, tell me what's been going on in your life."

Fred smiled.
Here was his dad.

Mia was seated in the living room staring, through the glass door, out at the beach as she sipped on the chocolate shake Fred had stocked the fridge with. It had been close to an hour since she left Fred to talk to his dad. She had left so she wouldn't be in the way of their bonding since it was the first time Fred was actually having a conversation with his dad since they arrived. She sipped on the chocolate shake.

"Mia?" She heard the door to their quarters, behind her open and shut.

"In here." She raised her hand without turning around to look at him.

Fred headed straight towards her, going around the sofa to join her. She smiled up at him which made him frown in confusion. He took a seat and stretched his arm out behind her. She moved into him, snuggling closer.

"Are you ok?"

She nodded.
"Now that you're here."

Fred brought the hand behind her and placed it on her shoulder.
"We have to talk."

Not the best way to start a conversation.
Mia thought.

He was in so much trouble.
Fred thought.