Chapter 16

Mia walked down the stairs that morning and saw Izzy in the kitchen with a steaming cup of coffee in her hand and she seemed a million miles away. Mia smiled and made her way into the kitchen and took the seat behind the island.

She cleared her throat which wasn't enough to snap her out of her thoughts.
"Want to talk about what's got you so bothered?"

Izzy snapped out of her reverie and turned her attention to Mia.
"Hey, sorry." She said as she passed her a fresh cup of coffee. "And I'm not bothered."

"Well, something's definitely got you all worked up." Mia sipped the coffee.

Izzy sighed.
"I was with Andre last night."

Mia smiled.
"That I know."

"He told me he loves me."

Mia's smile fell.
"That I didn't know."

Izzy looked at her friend.

"That's a good thing, right?" Mia asked Izzy "You don't seem happy about it."

"I am." Izzy joined her behind the kitchen island. "I just...I didn't expect it so soon."

"Well, you know when you know."

Izzy gave her a warning look and Mia faked surrender.
"That's what I hear."

Izzy smiled but it was gone in seconds.
"I'm ecstatic that he feels that way about me. I just...I don't know..."

"If you feel the same way."

Izzy snapped her gaze to Mia and nodded.
"Andre means a lot to me and I never expected to have something this good going with anyone but now that it's here..."

"It scares you."

Izzy smiled at Mia.
"Get out of my head."

Mia smiled back.
"Well, now I know what's got you so bothered."

Izzy rolled her eyes.

"Don't think too much about it and don't force your feelings to be more than it is. You might love him but haven't realized it yet but when the time comes, you would." Mia said, "Just you wait and see."

"Thanks." Izzy smiled at Mia "What about you? How was your night?"

"It was... eventful." She said, "And insightful."

Izzy was silent as she watched and waited for Mia to continue and she did.

"Did you know Fred and Andre are planning on starting a new branch on AFTech here in Leicester?" Mia asked.

"What?!" Izzy frowned "Andre didn't mention anything about the company."

"He must have forgotten." Mia winced.

"Something as important as that?" She asked. "Unlikely."

Mia sighed.
"I'm sorry you heard it from me first."

"You thought I knew." Izzy sighed. "It's not your fault."

Mia watched as she dumped her cup in the sink.

"I got an email from Laurieann yesterday," Izzy said with a smile.

Mia stared at her wide-eyed.
"The Laurieann Gibson?"

"Uhm-Uhm," Izzy said. "The one and only."

Mia already knew about Andre's surprise and she was even more ecstatic about Izzy being one of Laurieann's dancers. It was a huge deal for her.

"I'm so happy for you." Izzy smiled an appreciative smile towards her friend.

"Have you replied her?" Izzy nodded. "No need to give me your answer because I know what it'll be. And we need to celebrate."

"Already made lunch reservations at Shisha Lounge," Izzy said

"Perfect." Mia said.

They spent the afternoon together and as evening drew closer, Mia went home and Izzy made a stop at Andre's.

Mia spent all her time with Fred when she wasn't at home, at the library or at Marco's. And even at Marco's, Fred seemed to always find her there at their table. She should have found that irritating but she seemed to always look forward to it.

She was seated at her usual table the following afternoon reading a book she had started right after her exam when Fed joined her with a cup of his favorite drink and her favorite donut.

He smiled as he placed the donut in front of her and took the seat across from her. She looked up at him and smiled.
"Hey." She said.

"Hey." He had his eyes fixed on her.

She looked back down at the words on the book.

"What are you reading?"

"HER by Jane Lanett."

"You seem taken by it."

"It's inspiring." She said and got back to the book. After a moment passed, she looked up at Fred to find him watching her. That went on for a couple of times before she finally asked. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I'm trying to understand why?"

"Why what?"

"Why you're this amazing, sweet, book-loving person during the day, and at night, you're like a bad-ass version of this self."

Mia had never been asked that question directly. It was always little comment here and there about her nightly switch to a different person. She closed the book and placed it on the table next to her cup of cocoa latte.
"Is it a bad thing that I want to be sexy at night."

Fred let out a surprised gasp and leaned closer to her.
"Mia, you are sexy every single time. And I'm not complaining or judging, I just want to understand you better."

"I'm trying to keep my personal and professional life separate."

"Too separate," Fred said. "Who says you can't be professional and sexy at the same time?"

Mia let out a slow breath.

"Mia, you can be sexy in and out of work. You sure as hell don't need me to tell you that but you need to hear it."

Mia shook her head.
"Can we talk about something else?"

Fred smiled and leaned back into his chair.
"As you wish."

Fred followed Mia back to the library and while she worked, he worked as well. Attending to calls from Vincent and Theo – the new guy in Leicester whom Vincent had recommended to be in charge of everything Vincent couldn't get done on their end with the new branch in Leicester.

Vincent's right-hand woman handled the work with Theo seeing as Vincent was overseeing all other things in AFTech. Fred had no problem with that so long as she was reliable and efficient.

Mia snuck a glance at Fred from behind the counter once in a while and she wondered when she would wake up from the dream she was in. It was real, that she was sure of, but she couldn't help but feel something was about to go wrong.