Chapter 5: I'm Sorry

Chapter 5: I’m Sorry

The next few days have been pretty hectic and yes, filled with Romano’s complaints. I can usually just laugh it off but now he just won’t let me suck in air until I answer him with a decision. Even if I gave him a decision he’d say I’m wrong and try to convince me he would make the right one. What a little fool he can be sometimes.

I picked up the last box of tomatoes and set it outside. I had to prepare the shipments that we were going to sell to other countries. All these fields weren’t just there for Romano and me. They were there so that I could sell them all as exports. I have to make money to keep living, after all. 

Although I don’t mind if Romano sneaks a tomato or two when we pick them because there’s always plenty. I even sneak a few myself and I use them for food for myself too. What’s the point of growing them if you can’t enjoy them? That’s how I always see it anyway. There was always something else I saw the tomato fields to be.

I saw the tomato fields as a growing bond. I had grown up here and have been living here for so many years helping them grow. They always remind me of the prosperity that can come to be if we all work together. I had a special connection to this place. This place was my home.

They also reminded me of the growing bond between Romano and me. He had practically grown up in those fields, just like me. We both worked there together, no matter how many times I had to push him to work. He would grumble and complain but he eventually put up with it. We had put so much work into this and just like our bond, the tomato plants are strong and healthy. 

I wiped off some sweat that was on my forehead and sighed a deep sigh of relief. By the end of the day I was completely exhausted. I never remember wanting to do anything but rest. When the time for all these shipments comes to an end though, I have weeks to do whatever needs to be done. I just have to put up with this exhaustion for a few more days.

I came back inside, bumping into Romano as I trudged into the kitchen. I chuckled a little as I patted him on the back. I didn’t even see him when I walked in. In fact, I don’t remember seeing the kitchen. My vision was blurry and I could barely make out any color besides black.

I walked into the living room, throwing myself onto the couch. How long has it been since I’ve had this disease? A year maybe? I can’t even remember anymore. He only knows that I’ve had it for like a month but little does he know it’s been going on for a long time.

I closed my eyes, trying to drift off into sleep. All I needed was rest. I was then awoken by the sound of something busting outside. The sound of something hitting the dirt. I darted my eyes open, able to see better than before I closed them somehow.

I rushed outside, seeing a red liquid seeping into the ground. I looked up from the ground to see the klutz himself, sitting on the ground. He pounded his fists into the dirt and crossed them, angry with himself I supposed. I looked around at the tomatoes that had rolled off into the splotches of grass.

“Take it easy, you didn’t ruin all of them. We still have plenty.” I assured him.