Chapter One: Aplogies

Chapter One: Apologies

The only things I found Romano doing for many days were: eating, sleeping and working in the tomato fields. At least he was working but he worked so hard I had to force him to take breaks. I found that weird because he never used to work that hard. He was always so rebellious so why had he changed? What was going on in that thick skull of his?

I haven’t seen him smile either since he came here. He must be going through his own form of depression since he got kicked out of South Italy. I kept hoping his brother Veneziano would come running and welcome him back but it’s been a week and no word from him. I wonder how little Italy was taking all that responsibility.

I couldn’t imagine a kid with that much talent doing anything but excelling but I couldn’t see him as a very good leader. As for Romano he probably would make the better commander but he wasn’t skilled in the ways little Italy was in cleaning or artwork. Of course if they would work together no problems would happen at all.

I had much respect for the both of them but the one I had to worry about was the curly haired Italian that was sitting beside me, eating a tomato. I stood up and when I went into the kitchen he followed me, almost like a lost puppy. He never left my side ever since he got here either. He even slept in the same bed as me. Was he really that dependent upon someone else?

I didn’t want him to feel alone though so I let him tag along and he silently watched me as I washed a few more tomatoes. He began to wash them on the other side of the sink and we both kept silent. I kept a smile on my face but he still kept frowning. What could I say to him? Was it just a phase I had to let him go through?

When the tomatoes were all washed he sat back down at the table and stared at the floor. 

“Oh Romano.” I sighed in my thoughts.

I had to say something. He couldn’t just go on like this! He just wasn’t Romao if we wasn’t being rude to me. I walked into the kitchen and slammed my fist down on the table. His gaze jolted up toward me and his eyes got big with shock.

“Look amigo. You need to lighten up. It’s not like I’m mad at you. You can talk to me. Even if it’s making fun of me at least say something.” I begged.

Silence…

I sighed as I opened the front door. I had to go think about some of this by myself. The tomato fields were always so peaceful this time of day. I would just go lay down on the ground there and stare at the sky for hours on end.

When I walked out he instantly got up and followed me again. What was with this kid? What is the point of being beside someone if you won’t even talk to them? As we walked outside I shut the front door behind me and began to walk out to the fields, Romano following along.

When we got out of in the middle of the fields he grabbed my wrist and stared into my eyes. I couldn’t tell what his gaze was trying to tell me. Whether he was angry, sad, happy I didn’t know. I gently patted him on the head and smiled. When his face grew sad I stopped and my smile faded.

“I’m sorry.” he whispered.

“What?” I asked, shocked at hearing him say those words.

“I said I’m sorry you idiot!” he yelled at me.

I smiled as I placed my hand over his to let him know that it was all right to let go of my wrist. He slowly pulled his wrist away but never looked away from my eyes. Why was he staring at me like that? Feeling the awkwardness I avoided my gaze to the sky and felt the breeze on my face.

“Now was that so hard?” I asking jokingly.

“Whatever. It’s just hard to talk to you is all.” 

“Hard to talk to me? Romano you’ve known me since you were a little tike.”

“I was not small!”

I laughed at his anger and I felt something in my heart stop. I slowly breathed in and out and got enough breath in to start heading back to the house. Something was wrong. Very wrong…

“Hey Spain! What’s up with you?” he asked, walking behind me.

“Nothing, I’m fine.” I answered.

I just kept walking, hoping to reach the house and drink some water to ease the pain in my stomach. Maybe I just eat some bad tomatoes. That had to be it. When I reached the house I stumbled inside and fell to my knees, breathing heavily.

“You don’t look ok to me! What do you want me to do?”

I was shocked to see him so concerned about me. I just smiled and nodded no that I didn’t need any help from him. I just needed to catch my breath I told myself. He got down on his knees and looked at me with an expression I had rarely ever seen on his face. An expression of sadness.

“Sorry amigo, I.. I “ I stumbled.

My vision began to fade as I could no longer make out his face. I slowly breathed in and out but it didn’t help. I just kept fading into the black until finally my head collided with the cold, wooden floor below me. Everything else that happened was all a blur to me and I wondered if I would ever wake up to see his face again.