Chapter 9: Without You

Te Amo l Chapter 9: Without You l Spain

Waking up in the morning doesn’t feel right anymore. There’s this crushing feeling of desperation and loneliness that freezes my skin like a sudden cold chill. Only, it’s not sudden anymore.

He’s gone. He’s been gone. He left and I didn’t do anything to stop him. I just stood there and watched. Why didn’t I say anything? Why didn’t I go after him?

I angrily ruffle my hair as the sweat of this hot, summer air hits my skin. Really, the only reason I am even forced to get up anymore is so that I can cool myself down again. I have to let him go, yet my heart doesn’t want to. My heart burns for his touch. Just to see him would be enough. Yet, I know it’s not going to happen for a long time.

Somehow I manage to get myself out of bed enough so that I can run a cool pool of water from the sink slide down my face. I feel relieved for a moment, but as soon as I close my eyes again I imagine his fingertips roaming where the water now drips from. Did we really used to be that close? It seems like so long ago now…

“Spain, get your ass in here!” Prussia yells from the living room. His voice is so annoying right now. Why did I tell him he can use my house freely? I feel so stupid…

“I’ll be right there!” I yell back at him as I look at myself again in the mirror.

My whole face is a mask. When I’m smiling and concentrated on something no one else can see it, but the lines of worry and the bags under my eyes show the depression I am in. Only I notice. Only I see. And that’s the way it has to be. That’s the way I want it to be.

I can’t have others- even Romano- being worried about my illness, or about how depressed I am about Romano leaving me. That’s my own problem. I can’t bring this upon others. This is something I must deal with myself.

I turn off the faucet and gently pat my face with a hand towel that is by the bathroom sink. I smile to cover my features, though I know it is fake. How can they not see it?

Regardless, I step out into the hall and walk towards the living room- still in my white, matching pajamas. There’s no need for me to change for Prussia. After all, this was my house and he was the one coming in uninvited.

“What is it?” I ask as I look over at him. I yawn, still tired even though it is about noon now.

I rub my eyes, and he points towards the doorway. “Francis is coming through, of course, and I think I saw another visitor arriving too.”

“Another visitor?” I rub my eyes and tilt my head. Who would come to visit me besides these two? My boss isn’t meant to visit until the end of the summer…

Prussia nods. “I haven’t seen the brat in a long time… He must miss you, Spanish bastard~” He mocked, ending his sentence with his typical, loud, and annoying, laugh.

My eyes open wide as I look at the doorway. It couldn’t be…

First comes in France with a gentle wave as he flips his hair in the sunlight. “It’s a pleasure to get such an unexpected visit from moi, don’t you think?”

But my eyes are not focused on him. I am only focused on the next person who appears in the doorway: an Italian boy with his eyebrows furrowed into a scowl and his arms crossed over his chest. “Seriously, bastard-o! You can’t even think to meet me at the train station or answer a text when I send it?! You Spanish bastards are the worst!”

“Romano!” I am too overjoyed to take in his words. I rush past France, who mutters something under his breath and scoffs at me, and stand in front of Romano, whose eyes are casted away from me.