Shocked

Chapter 2

   Clattering of dishes as I hear my mother call, "Serani can you please come down here and help me with the dishes?", "Yes, I will be right down mother." I rush down the narrow steps onto the first floor of the house and walk carefully into the kitchen. "Do you want me to help you pick these dishes up? Mother?", "Yes and put them away please". I obeyed her as always careful not to stress her.

     My mother had a long day today. Her eyes had large dark bags underneath them. I saw the exhaustion. She had so many clients. She didn't realize how hard she had to work today as she failed to even do the dishes. I finish picking up the dishes and washing them again in the sink. Luckily they were plastic so nothing broke. I gather the dishes with my small hands and put them into the wooden cabinets that were side by side on both sides of the sink. The cabinets had a hard texture so I was careful not to get a splinter.

      After my mother left the kitchen as I was reaching out to open the fridge. I heard a voice whisper to me. It sounded like a guy, my age. I backed away. *What the heck was that voice?* My brother jumped out. I screamed. "What do you think? Thought it was a ghost or something. You are so easy to scare.", "Oh, shut up. Of course you'd know that." I went back upstairs increasing my speed as I ran up the stairs. Ignoring my brother asking what he did wrong. He can have no common sense some times. Jeesh. Such a bother.

         I went to my small bedroom. About almost everything was still in a box. I lay on the bed. I hear the whisper again. The same voice. I didn't remember my brother coming with me upstairs so what the heck was still whispering? And what is that warm air by my feet?