CHAPTER SIX - November 2171 - Earth

The sleek silver and black spacecraft entered earth's atmosphere and headed for England. As their altitude dropped, Denmark and Holland gradually gave way to the horizon as did Ireland. They were headed for the east-midlands and home. They levelled off above a town called Hinckley heading north towards Earl Shilton. They flew over Burbage woods then swooped down skimming the trees until they came to what looked like an old farmhouse. The craft slowed and hovered near a large barn. Three of the four landing struts opened as the barn doors slid open to reveal a high-tech hanger for the spacecraft. The pilot skilfully guided the damaged vessel into the hanger and settled it down, compensating for the area where there was no landing strut.

Being careful to avoid the landing thrusters, a maintenance crew wheeled over a makeshift brace to hold the spacecraft upright until another landing strut could be welded into place. The pilot cut the last of the remaining downward thrusters and the spacecraft settled onto the temporary brace.

"Woo. Not bad, not bad at all," said the co-pilot while wiping his brow with his forearm.

"I'm the best pilot you'll ever see," said Guy.

"Don't get too cocky or you'll come unstuck."

"Me – never," he laughed.

Guy Travis – a twenty-five-year-old pilot, who no one could mistake for being modest, got up from his seat and made for the exit. As he walked down the exit ramp, he saw Madeline and held out his arms to her.

Madeline, in contrast, was just as lovable and jovial as Guy, but she would never acknowledge it when complemented. She didn't look her fifty-five years as she bustled her way towards him, smiling fondly. She was like a mother to him and the rest of the crew.

"Mads, how the heck are you?"

"Better now you lot are back," she took a few more steps. "Were there any casualties?"

They embraced and Madeline ruffled Guy's black hair in a friendly gesture.

"You'll have to ask the captain that. I don't have all the information, but I do know some died," he replied as they parted.

"Mother. You know what I told you about talking to him," said David with a sly smile on his face. Guy stepped to the side so Madeline could see her son advancing towards them.

"I'll talk to whoever I like, and don't you forget that," she mocked while waving her finger at him. "So, who was killed then?"

"Can we take this inside, mother? I don't want to talk about this in front of the crew."

"Oh yes, of course, you're right."

They walked towards the house with their arms behind each other's backs while Guy made his way to the wash house. He needed a shower after being cooped up in the spacecraft for so long.

David and his mother entered the house through the back door and turned left into the kitchen.

"Sit down, David. Have a cup of tea," she said and picked up the kettle. She took it over to the sink and began filling it with water. David sat at the old wooden table and looked around the familiar room. He did enjoy being home.

"What happened then? I thought this was supposed to go through without a hitch."

He sighed and leaned back on his chair while running his fingers through his short black hair with his eyes closed.

"It was all arranged, and we never made a single mistake. All the guards were taken down quietly and without harm. We thought we'd got away but then a star cruiser intercepted us. We must have been spotted."