CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - December 2171-January 2172 - The Moon

Author's note:- We're nearing the end of book one now. Will Dowdneer defeat his enemies or will he be defeated. Perhaps a third alternative exists - read on to find out. As ever please vote if you enjoyed the chapter. Comments are also welcome - Thank you.

Two days had passed since Neil's briefing. Chloe was with him in their favourite place, the Artificial Park. Again, Regents Park was programmed in for the week and they both longed for a break so they could visit the real place.

They were walking towards the exit when Chloe stopped Neil by a bench. "Sit down for a minute please."

They both sat and Neil fixed her with a stare. "What's wrong, babe?"

"I want you to marry me before you go away again, Neil," she looked at the ground. When she looked up again there was a tear in her eye. Neil wiped it gently away for her as they kept eye contact. Looking deeply into his eyes she said, "I want her to have your surname, Neil. I want things legitimate. But most of all, I want to be known as Mrs Bolgon before you go to fight these tranchillions."

Neil lifted her chin slightly as she had, once again, lowered her head. He smiled at her and her heart melted, then they kissed a long and gentle kiss, full of love. They parted and Neil said, "Yes, Chloe Samantha Lewis. Yes, I will marry you." He got down on one knee in front of her. "The question is, Chloe. Will you marry me?"

Her heart filled with joy and she jumped into his arms. "Yes, yes, yes," she repeated. Neil put her down and they left the park. They entered a dull, grey, lifeless corridor in complete contrast to where they had just been.

"We'll start organising things just as soon as we find out the verdict of the briefing," said Neil.

When they got back to their quarters the TV screen was flashing the words 'important message'. Neil walked over to it and said, "TV on – receive message."

The screen went blank then John Stillson's face appeared. The image smiled then he said, "Hello, Officer Bolgon. The results of the briefing have been decided and the general requests your presence in his office. Miss Lewis may attend as well."

The screen went blank and Neil said, "Reply. I will be there shortly," he paused to look at Chloe and she nodded. He looked back at the screen. "With Miss Lewis, thank you."

"It looks like we're going to see your father then," said Chloe.

"Yes, we are. Let's get this over with."

When Neil and Chloe entered the general's office, they saw a room full of familiar faces. General Bolgon was sitting behind his desk with his two advisers either side of him at a respectful distance. Suzanne Cox was at a table to the side ready to take notes and Rebecca was sitting at a table opposite the general with two empty seats next to her. There was no sign of the military police.

"That's encouraging, Chloe," said Neil. "I can't see any MPs."

They sat next to Rebecca after Neil had saluted his father.

"Thank you for coming so promptly, Officer Bolgon." His face changed from serious to smiling as he said, "No need to worry, son. There are no charges."

"Thank you, sir," said Neil.

"No. Thank you for the brilliant execution of our plan. Both of you did an excellent job. The meeting to decide our next course of action will begin in the 'War Room' in just over an hour. I expect you to be there, Neil."

"Of course, sir. Let's get this war ended."

Neil and Chloe left the room and couldn't help smiling at each other.