Chapter Sixty

At the Salvatore Boarding House, Jenna is waiting in the library, her eyes are teary, on the verge of breaking down again. Elena walks in.

"Oh, Jenna, thank God." Elena states as she hurries towards her.

"No." Jenna whispers.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen."

"When I was little, your mom used to tell me bedtime stories. Stories about vampires. I never thought that what she said could be true."

"It is true, Jenna. I should have told you. I thought that if you didn't know, you'd be safe. But then things got so out of control and everything I had done to keep you out of it, it just blew up in my face."

"Who else knows? Diana?" Elena nods. "Jeremy?" Elena nods again. "John?"

"We were just trying to protect you."

"Protect me?" Jenna asks her.

"I'm so sorry. I will tell you everything."

"No, Elena...I am the one who's supposed to be protecting you, and Diana, and Jeremy."

"I know, but there's nothing that you could have done. There's so much more to it..."

"No, this is-- this is so...I don't know how...it's..." Jenna begins to cry.

"I know, hey."

"Why didn't you tell me?! I'm scared." Elena sits down next to her and embraces her.

"I know. I know. I know, hey. Hey. I'm sorry. Jenna, I am so, so sorry." Stefan is in the corridor, listening to them. He has tears in his eyes.

.................

Later, Elena closes a door she just came out of. Stefan is there waiting for her.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Stefan asks her.

"She's in shock. I tried to tell her as much as I could, but I barely scratched the surface."

"I'm so sorry, Elena. I hate this."

"It's not your fault, Stefan. It's mine. Anyway...I have to go back to Elijah."

"Wait, what? No, no!"

"Stefan, I promised him that I would return. I can't break that promise."

"Oh." Stefan then nods.

"I'll be okay." Elena goes to the front door but Damon and Andie are walking toward her.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Back to Elijah." Elena answers.

"No"

"Get out of my way, Dam.." He grabs her arm to stop her.

"If you so much as try and take a step out of this house..." Damon threatens.

"Damon, easy." Andie tells him.

"Stay out of this, Andie." Damon snaps.

"Let her go." Stefan warns.

"Are you kidding me? We just got her back." Stefan grabs his arm.

"You heard me. I said let her go."

"That's twice today you've stood in my way. I wouldn't try a third."

...............

Diana sits on the floor, her back against the bed as she watches Katherine in the kitchen. Music blasting. Drinking. Dancing. At least one of them can enjoy this. Suddenly they both head someone at the door. Klaus enters. When he looks in the room he sees Katherine is sitting motionless on the couch. She shares a look with Diana.