Chapter 7: My Cousin Abigail

T H E N

T H E N

The summer was in full swing with parades coming to town and little kids putting up lemonade stands in their backyards, my mom was making me help out my little cousin Abbigail this morning. Abigail was thirteen years old and the spitting image of my nana, she had porcelain skin and curls of burgundy lochs. Her cheeks were always tinted rose and she had a face full of freckles, her eyes were a cornflour blue with hues of green and gold. Abbi was one of the sweetest girls I'd ever met and volunteered for almost everything, she'd put up this lemonade stand to help raise money for the thanksgiving dinner they held every year at the town hall for the homeless children.

"I'm going down to the beach with Dwayne today." Abi blushed leaning against one of the wooden poles. Dwayne Michealson was Abbi's latest boyfriend, his dad owns the seafood restaurant down at the pier, Sailormoon.

"You guys have been going out for a while, do you think its real?" I ask, knowing how easily bored she gets.

"Dwayne Is really kind and funny and tall and really handsome..." Abigail swoons sighing and taking a seat on the plastic stool.

"I'm happy if you're happy." I remind her,

"He's supposed to kiss me today at sunset like all the other girls do with their boyfriends," Abi whispers,

"You don't have to kiss him because you feel like you have to, your first kiss should be special and should happen when you want to."

"I want to Allie, stop grilling me you sound just like our moms," Abi says shoving me playfully,

"Yeah right." I laugh,

"Rumor has it you've been hanging around with the new kid in town," Abi says folding her arms,

"Maybe..." I mumble avoiding eye contact with her,

"Maybe!" Abbi exclaims in frustration "why don't you tell me anything anymore Allie?"

"I'm sorry Abi, it's nothing really," I assure her,

"Oh come on, tell me about him!" She urges,

"Fine, his name is Sky Maddison and he's nice," I admit feeling the flush spread in my cheeks,

"Nice? Oh, come on you've gotta give me more than that." Abi pleaded looking up at me with a pout.

"He kind of gets me, in a way, I can't really explain," I tell her,

"Oh and I don't?" Abi says folding her arms,

"Of course you do Abi, just not in that way," I say placing a comforting hand on her shoulder and letting her down easy.

"You know what, we're closed for the rest of the day let's go get some ice cream by the pier," Abi suggests and I hang the wooden closed sign up.