Chapter 4: Change Of The Tide

The very second Sky Maddison's eyes met mine my heart nearly broke free from my rib cage and chased him, a wave of nostalgia swept over me and I shut my eyes. I remembered everything and suddenly all those memories came flooding back. I could almost feel the cool summer breeze and the smell the salty air, I also could've sworn that I could feel the hot sand between my toes. Every time I saw Sky It always felt like summer. The second I opened my eyes he was gone, maybe to his first class. I probablly didn't even matter to him anymore, he probably didn't even remember me, did that summer we spent with each other when we were fifteen even matter?

"Jesus Allie you're really smitten by him huh?" Jules teased looking at the puddle of water at my feet,

"Smitten?" I scoffed, I couldn't let anyone know that I cared about him nevertheless acknowleged his existence."Perhaps all the chemicals from your cheap ass hair dye has finally gotten to your brain."

The more people you care about the more ammunition you give people to hurt you, and I couldn't be hurt- not again. I knew that my words were hurtful and that I'd probably really hurt Jules's feelings, but I had to stay strong no matter what.

"Okay, we'll catch up with you later Jules." Kennedy inturupted noticing that I was being way more defensive than usual.

"Okay, I guess." Jules shrugged walking away, her edgy platform boots stalking down the hall.

"What the hell was that about?" Kennedy asks,

"That was Sky Maddison." I said and her eyes widened in surprise,

"Oh my God, I thought his family dissapeared from Clearhaven two years ago!" Kennedy marvels grabbing my hand so we can talk somewhere more private, because everyone knows that someone's always listening In CH county. "Are you sure that was him?"

"Ken I know what Sky looks like, trust me." I assured her, feeling a flush rise in my cheeks.

"He grew up to be hotter than his dad, who would've guessed."Kennedy says with a playful grin, shes had a dirty crush on Mr Maddison since she was eleven.

"Kennedy stop, I don't think Brandon would be happy to hear that." I reminded her and she rolled her eyes in annoyance.

Brandon Marshall was Kennedy's long time boyfriend, his father was a pastor at the local church and he was supposed to take over after him. Kennedy's family is really religeous and wanted their teenage daughter to date someone who'd be a good influence on her and not lead her onto a path that wasn't in the good lord's image.

"Brandon doesn't care what I do." Kennedy shrugs doing that thing she does when she's nervous where she bites her pinky nail.

"Don't say that Ken I'm sure he does, you're just kind of intimidating.

"Intimidating? You must be joking." Kennedy scoffs rolling her eyes,

"You two just have very different personalities that's all and that could be a good thing, opposites attract." I assure her placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"You don't get it Allie, I wanna be a teenager and experience things but I don't want to let my parents down- they've done so much for me." Kennedy sighs running a hand through her dark lochs.

"I get it Ken, it's a great that you're a good kid and listen to your parents but sometimes you just have to do what's best for you and what makes you happy." I tell her and when she looks at me with her pretty brown eyes I can see the battle taking place behind them.

"Thanks, I wish it were that easy babe." Kennedy shrugs and then the second period bell rings,
"I've gotta get to Geo, I'll see you at lunch m'kay?"