Chapter 5: The sparkly kite

The bright  sun streamed through the window and started hitting my eyes. I should have realized this would happen when I chose to sleep facing the window. Getting up and checking the time, I learned that it was only 6:30 in the morning. Jojo was still sleeping, so I decided just to chill and wait until she woke up. Grabbing my phone, I remembered the conversation we had had with Kyle last night, and that's when I got an idea. Yesterday, Jojo had asked to go kite flying with together, instead we went swimming yesterday and decided to do the kites today. What if we  invited Kyle to come along, just like old times? Spontaneously, I sent a text to Kyle asking him if he was free, just in case he was up this early. Surprisingly enough, he responded back quickly.

Harper: Good Morning, do you happen to be free today?

Kyle: I've got nothing planned. What are you thinking of?

Harper: Well, Jojo and I were going to go kite flying.

Kyle: Did you ask Jojo if you could invite me?

Well no, I haven't, she's asleep. Why would it matter anyway? Jojo wants to see our old friends just as much as I do.

Harper: Not yet, she's still sleeping.

Kyle: Ask her when she awakens.

Harper: Is that a yes?

Kyle: Yes

With that, I decided that I may as well wake Jojo up now. She woke me up yesterday anyway, this could be payback. I grabbed one of the unicorn plushes off her bed and thrust a unicorn at her face. She flinched as it hit, and whimpered slightly, before sleepily saying, "I'm up, I'm up. What is it?"
"Good morning, Sleepy head!" I cheerily replied. "Can Kyle go kite flying with us later?"
"Sure", Jojo answered agreeably. "Is that why you woke me up?" She asked with agitation.
I avoided the question, not wanting to make Jojo angry. Instead, I just replied,"Do you want to make our kite now or later?"
"After breakfast" Jojo answered becoming less agitated.

We both ran downstairs to her gigantic kitchen. She has almost every breakfast food you could imagine in that kitchen. After a bit of debating, we both decided to eat donuts for breakfast, and began digging in. We finished, and decided that now would be the time to build our kite.

"Do you even know how to build a kite?" I asked Jojo questioningly
"Kinda," she replied hesitantly
"We just need a ruler, some sticks, string, and paper."
"Then let's get working" I said with excitement.
We looked up how to build a kite, and it was just as easy as Jojo said. The kite was built easily, and then it was time to decorate.
"I'm sure I don't need to ask if you have glitter or not." I joked, Jojo laughed pretty hard at the joke.
"I've got some in the cabinet." She stated, running over to the cabinet to pull out the sparkles. She grabbed out boxes and boxes full of sparkly decorations, and brought them over to the table.
"Holy shit," I thought to myself. "I don't think we have a big enough kite for this."
"Help yourself."Jojo told me while opening up some of the packages.
We went to work, covering every centimetre of the kite with some form of glitter. We had so much fun that I almost forgot how much I love Jojo. After we finished, I texted Kyle to let him know.

Harper: Jojo approves of you coming along for the kite thingy.

Kyle: Super! When and where are we meeting.

Harper: The forest behind my house, near the open field.
Harper: You have a kite, right?

Kyle: Uh yeah
Kyle: I have a blue one.

Harper: Okay, meet us in about an hour?
Kyle: Sure

"I suppose we should ask your mom for a ride." I told Jojo.
"Yeah! My moms probably not busy." She replied.

After getting a ride to my house from Jojo's mom, we walked through the crinkly leaves over to where Kyle was waiting. He smiled as soon as he saw us,  his black hair blowing in the warm summer breeze under the beanie he was wearing.
"Hey!" Kyle said. "How are you guys doing."
"I'm doing great!" Jojo answered enthusiastically. "I'm glad to be back from tour so that we can all go to school together again."
"Yeah" Kyle agreed happily.
The three of us talked about old times while our kites gently blew in the wind. With every gust, our kites flew like birds across the beautiful clear blue sky. It was really a beautiful scene, the three of us in an empty field with blue and pink kites gracefully flying.
Kyle told us everything he knew about recent Parker and Willow. They seemed to be in the same place as when they left years ago, Willows is still emo and Parker still follows her around despite not being an emo.