Chapter 8

DAY 9

A cannon sounded.

Another day, another death. If I remembered right, that meant only eight tributes were left.

I was so tired that I didn't even bother speculating who was just killed. As long as it wasn't Cyprus, I really didn't care. For the last couple of days, since the big battle with the Careers, I had made a few useful discoveries. Firstly, the arena's sections were each designed so as to represent a season of the year. Each section was probably the same size, with the Cornucopia in the centre, part of the Summer quarter. On the left, there was the Winter, and the Autumn section was to the north. This meant that the Spring section must of been in the South, where the Careers' camp was. Finally, I had realised that every couple of days, the river's flow greatly decreases, and some weird yellow fungi gathers on the sides of the riverbank.

It was with this strange fungi in mind that I left my tree to collect water. I felt nauseous and tired, as the only food I had eaten all week was during my 2-day stay in the winter section that was given to me by Cyprus. I remembered him saying that the Cornucopia had plenty. I clutched the knife in my hand as I remembered the Bloodbath on the first day.

The Cornucopia. What if I went back there? Do any supplies remain?

I let out a short gasp when I felt something light touch my head. I stood out in the open next to the river, frozen, but I really was alone. I exhaled and felt for whatever had touched me.

It was a small scrap of paper attached to a miniature parachute. Written on it were just two words:

They're mushrooms.

It suddenly occurred to me that this was from the Capitol. Someone had paid to have this note sent to me. Did that mean that I was being noticed? Was it some sort of plan? I looked down at the yellow fungi on the riverbank. They smelled terrible, and looked unnatural. 'They're mushrooms.' I whispered.

'You bet they're mushrooms.' A male voice responded, amused.