Chapter 2

DAY 1 - BLOODBATH

60

The town square could hardly accommodate the many thousands of people summoned to witness the Reaping. After I signed in, I was grouped in a tight bunch of 18 year olds. Except for the 12 year olds, whose first Reaping was today, I was possibly the most nervous. I was nervous every year, but if I made it through this year, I would not have to worry about being selected for the Games again. However, my brother Cervus will come of age in six years, and after that, who knows what will happen.

59

A tall Capitol woman dressed in blinding yellow and sickening orange waltzed on the stage, clearly upset that she was here. This was Cicera Aster, the new escort for District 7. Rumor has it that she was the old escort for District 11 and was about to be promoted to District 2. When that didn't work out, they gave her the District halfway in between: 7. The mayor said a few words, then Cicera introduced herself. A video of President Snow was shown and Cicera explained the rules of the Games and the Reaping.

57

'Ladies first!' She chirped. Cicera's hand plunged into the reaping bowl. She pulled out a slip, and read the name. 'The female tribute for District 7 is... Johanna Mason!' I froze. Everybody around me seemed to repel from me. I didn't move, praying that somebody would volunteer. But nobody ever does in 7. I walked up to Cicera and closed my eyes. A silent tear rolled down my cheek.

56

I heard Cervus crying. He was with my friend's mother, who was trying to calm him down. As Cicera read out the name Cyprus Grovewood, I swore that I would win the games. The Capitol would not get away with this. So I came up with a plan. After I was sure of what I was going to do, I let out my tears openly.

55

From that moment, I relived every second until the morning of the Games. Meeting Cyprus, saying goodbye to my friends and Cervus, the journey to the Capitol, the chariot races, training, and the interview with Caesar Flickerman. I remembered how the audience laughed at my face when they heard my 'strategy.' They'll see. They'll all see.

54

I suddenly became aware of Claudius Templesmith counting down to the Games. I snapped out of my trance and surveyed my surroundings. I was in a lush, summery green field. As usual, the tributes were situated in a circle around the Cornucopia. This year, the Cornucopia was different. Instead of the usual gold horn, the Cornucopia was a large golden dome. However, the dome only had about four openings in which all of the supplies were, and they were relatively small. I applauded the Head Gamemaker whose name I couldn't remember. This would ensure a bloodbath indeed.

30

I looked at the tributes on either side of me. To my left was Titus, the male from 6, and to my right was Terri, the thirteen year old girl from District 12 who I had befriended during training. I felt like waving, but I knew it would be inappropriate. Cyprus was nowhere in sight. He must be on the other side of the Cornucopia. In fact, the only career I could see was Amity, the girl from 1. I found Amity strange because she received the lowest training score out of all the careers, an 8, and was only thirteen years old. I was sure that I had never seen a career younger than sixteen until then. I always assumed that the careers were always older because the older teenagers were always the ones that volunteered. Perhaps Amity was a volunteer?

10

I braced myself for a sprinting position and was careful not to step of my starting podium, because then I would explode. I set my sights on a silver backpack about thirty metres ahead. I figured I would grab it and run for cover. The field was surrounded in forest so I could just climb a tree.

3,2,1,... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, LET THE SEVENTY-FIRST ANNUAL HUNGER GAMES BEGIN!

My feet touched the ground the moment the siren went off. I sprinted hard until I reached the silver backpack. I was about three-quarters of the way to the Cornucopia. I could have grabbed the black pack a few metres ahead of me, but Lance, the male tribute from District 4, was approaching. I sprinted back into the woods without pursuers. I guessed nobody wants to waste their time running after a weak tribute.

As I reached the edge of the forest, I quickly looked back to assess the bloodbath. Already I could count at least five bodies but I couldn't tell who they were. The careers had already formed a group in front of the Cornucopia, and all six of them had already successfully acquired weapons. I ran further into the forest, for what seemed like hours. I didn't stop until I found a nice and tall tree that was inconspicuous and slightly out-of-the-way, which I scaled with ease. Since I came from the lumber district, I was accustomed to climbing trees.

When I reached near the top of the tree, I adjusted my legs and back to a comfortable position and rested. Abruptly, nine cannons went off. I realised that I forgot to check the contents of my silver pack. Viciously I opened the zip and found three items: a pack of about half a dozen throwing knives, a small rectangular box that held ice and a litre bottle of water. I was elated. The ice could serve as a cooler and as extra water. The temperature of the arena wasn't too hot nor too cold, though I knew it would be freezing at night like in previous years. In that case, the ice wouldn't help, but the extra hydration would.

Since I was apt with an axe, it could not be that hard to learn to use throwing knives. It was better than a spear or mace, both of which I failed to use in training - and that was when I was trying. It was getting dark, so I decided to close the bag and try to go to sleep.

Just as I closed my eyes, loud music filled the air. The emblem of Panem glowed in the sky and I attentively looked at the emblem to see which tributes died in the bloodbath. I quietly prayed that Cyprus was still alive. The face of the girl from five was shown, followed by the girl from six. Next was the faces of both the district nine tributes. Then were both from 10, both from 11, and Terri's partner from District 12. I sighed with relief. Though I didn't want to die in these games, I liked Cyprus. I probably wouldn't kill him unless I had to.

Suddenly I heard a noise from below. There was somebody almost directly under my tree. I looked down, and I could make out the vague figure of Titus. I wonder what it must feel like to find out that your district partner, the only thing you still have that reminds you of your old world, was dead.

I gasped. Titus was holding an axe! If I just quietly grabbed a knife, and threw it down, I could get that axe! I shook my head. It wouldn't work. I could barely see Titus, and I wasn't sure if my aim was so great. A scream pierced the air.

It was Titus.

Titus was screaming so loud that my ears were hurting. He was rolling around on the floor and clawing at the trees. For one horrifying moment, he was clawing on the trunk of mine. Eventually Titus calmed down and ran away.

I cursed. He just gave away my location! I wouldn't be surprised if the careers came next. I waited and waited, but they never came. I decided just to sleep.

I shifted into a different position so that I could sleep peacefully. I closed my eyes, and everything was black. I tried to imagine my home forests of District 7, and my brother Cervus' face, but they seemed hazy, and distant.

"That's nine down," I croaked ever so quietly. "Only fourteen to go."