Chapter 4- All I Want is Nothing

Chapter 4

All I want is Nothing

Gerard was like a puzzle.

Not just any puzzle. He was one of those two thousand piece puzzles with all the tiny pieces, which would inevitably fall off the table and get vacuumed up, tumble underneath the couch or perhaps, get eaten by the dog. Gerard was a puzzle with missing pieces, and although I hadn't even put half the puzzle together, I still wanted to know everything.  I wanted to know why he had to be so mysterious. I suppose that I was just as mysterious to him too, which was why I found myself in his tiny house later on that evening. And yes, Gerard definitely still lived with his mother.

Gerard's room was in the basement, and when we walked in, I noticed that there was no evidence of Mikey ever living here; no pictures, no belongings, nothing. After all, Mikey did have a foster mother, but he never really mentioned why he didn't live with his own family.

Gerard and I were sitting on his old, decrepit couch. The leathery material was warm and stuck to my skin in ways that it shouldn't have; I couldn't even tell if I was sweaty or if it was the couch. Fucking nasty. The side I was sitting on was sinking so low, I may as well have sat on the floor instead, and the side Gerard was sitting on was the exact opposite, as if he had just bought it. The couch alone was proof that he probably never left his room at all. The rest of his room was a complete mess; like mine, his bed was unmade, clothes were tossed all around his floor, and on his wall were posters of bands that presumably he quite enjoyed. I didn't quite understand as to why Gerard had even brought me to his house in the first place; all we were doing was watching Star Wars and it just didn't really sit right that I was at my mortal enemies' house. After all, I killed his brother; we may as well have been enemies.

After a solid hour sitting on Gerard's old smelly couch I decided to say something. "I should probably go." The words silently passed my lips, I was surprised that he could even hear the mumbling.

"Hm?" I could feel him staring at me.

"Home?" I slightly turned my gaze to his. He muted the TV.

"Why so soon?" He pouted, his eyes flickering back and forth from my eyes to my lips. I wondered if he would kiss me again. 

"I have to go home, Gerard. My mom doesn't even know where I am."

"You could call her on my phone." He casually suggested.

"How come you want me to stay all of a sudden?" I smirked.

"Nevermind." He shrugged. "Go home."

"What's your problem?"

"Go home." He changed his tone, this time more elated.

"Right, okay."

"Where do you live?" He turned off the TV.

"Uh, just a couple blocks down the street."

"Do you want me to walk you home?"

"What?"

His thin lips strung into a small smile; his small teeth barely showing. "So I take that as a no?"

I pulled my brows together, confused. "No, I just... I thought you hated me."

"I don't hate you; I'm just not too fond of you." He replied, too quick, too honest.

"Well I'm not very fond of you either." I smiled.

He smiled back. "Good. Now I'm going to walk you home."

*

"Why did you invite me over?" I suddenly asked.