Maze B

Why can't I think straight? What is this place? Why is there no girls? I feel so small here

Hey! Who's there? Why are you talking to me?

Is that me?

No, it's me. Who are you?

Who are you?

I'm Elizabeth.

Well, I'm Addison. Why and how can I hear you?

I have no idea.

It was the middle of the day, the sun shone sharply across the cold Spring as girls wandered around working through the ever changing weather. It was a warm day, perfect for hoodie and pants rather than their normal attire of jackets, hats, scarves, gloves, boots, and such. It was a quieter day than usual, it was a day where someone new would soon be joining their group of girls.

The Spring was held inside the inner ring of a large Maze, an icy Maze traveled quickly by skates. Their Maze was different, however, they didn't seem to think so. They didn't know there were more people other than themselves and the creators who put them there. Their Maze became vertical after reaching the third loop. The second being the flat Maze by skates and the third was to be climbed. The first loop was the Spring where they lived. The girls didn't have one sole job, they did all jobs so it was an equal change for all, except for the Skaters.

Their leader and second in command were at the Chalet discussing the evening ceremony. They had a calendar inside the Decision Tree where they did their gatherings which included topics on the Spring and it's fellow inhabitants. One girl in particular, a 5'7 dirty blonde with forest green eyes and freckles lining her nose and below her eyes, was seated inside the Cabin B by the fire as she read a book quietly. She held a beautiful French Canadian accent, which often got some of her words slightly jumbled. However, being in the Spring with people for a few years, she picked up a few things.

It was her off day, she didn't need to work, but if she wanted to she could. The barn held many animals that remained in their pens during the colder doors or ran the small pasture to pass time. Gardens were held at the Greens, where a massive green house stored all their vegetation. In the center of the entire Spring, the Watering Well held all of their water in which they got by pulling a bucket up from below. It never froze, it was always cool.

Her name was Elizabeth and she knew nothing more about herself than what she got to know over the course two and a half years. She was seventeen and a half, she held a beautiful complexion in the frosty Spring and her stature was gorgeous. Girls often told her how beautiful she looked, from her eyes to her physic.

Elizabeth's main job around the Spring was to roam the Maze, she was now on the vertical aspect of the Maze. However, she often liked cooking and building, it was a nice occupation in spare time. "I'd suggest Elizabeth." Harriet, their leader, spoke.

Second in command, Sonya, debated on it with a hand to her chin. "I don't know, Harriet. I mean, yes, Liz is a great Icer and all, but she gets too close with the girls. You know, she's too friendly."

"Which is why she's the one to do it. We can't have someone like Beth showing them around. She scares everyone because of her resting Stick face." She explained. "The girl's slightly a brute."

"All right, we'll give this one to Liz, but next time it's one of us." Sonya agreed, taking into consideration that some of the girls weren't meant for such a task.

"Great." Harriet nods. "I'll go seek her now."

Harriet was a tall girl with a great personality once one got to know her. She had darker skin, she was beautiful as could be and with such a white place, she stood out gorgeously. She was kind in general, but held a leadership side to her that could get the best of her. She took everyone's opinion into consideration and she believed in no person left behind or out. She often included everyone and she didn't hold any hatred for anyone, simply annoyance of one, such as Beth. A girl with a big mouth.

She was the first girl in the Spring, she survived an entire month by herself and she'd only stepped foot inside the Maze once. She hadn't stepped inside until the tenth month when curious Elizabeth came to the Spring. She'd known Elizabeth was different by the way she spoke with such an accent, a thicker one that was hard to understand sometimes. That, but the constant furrowed brows and frown on her face gave off an odd feeling.

She pushed open the door and entered, looking around the main area. She didn't see the girl and continued walking. The girls slept in cabins, each one held ten girls and a large fire pit in the middle that remained lit for three quarters of the night. When she didn't see Elizabeth inside, she sighed and walked around to the left side of the Chalet, going to Cabin B, which was on the other side of Cabin A. Cabins C and D were on the right side of the Chalet.

"There you are." Harriet began, the door closing as she walked to the far end of the Cabin where the bunk bed was. The girls had built bunks and those took forever to build. They got supplies every night and they put the wood and nails to use for beds. "Sonya and I were speaking just now and when the Blondie arrives, you'll show her around."

Elizabeth nodded, closing her book with a finger between the pages to mark where she was. "All right, but if it's tomorrow you know I can't."

"No, we figured it out. Beth will cover you in the Maze."

"Hope a Shade sucks her dry."

"Elizabeth!" She gritted through her teeth. The girl looked up and threw her book down, losing the page, but shrugged with a giggle. "I know it's funny, but it's not right to say."

"All right." She agreed. "Hey, um, by the way, one of the cows is doing that bubbling thing around their mouth again. You might need to kill it." She warned her leader, who nodded.

Elizabeth remained seated on her bed, lying back now and Harriet left the room, telling Liz when dinner would be done. Elizabeth was outgoing like any other girl and as kind and friendly as she was, she had no issue getting dirty. She had no problem using a bow and arrow or a spear. Weapons were intimidating and knew how to use them all, she believed in those for security over rules to protect people.

With Harriet out of B Cabin, Liz sighed peacefully as she went back to her book quietly. Liz? She heard.

She smiled to herself.

Since the second day, she'd been hearing a voice inside her head, a pretty voice that always had something to say. Whether it'd be advice or just something in general. The voice on the other side sounded like her, slightly off seeming because they weren't exactly the same. The voice had been around for the last two and a half years. Elizabeth always heard the voice and spoke back voicelessly. She'd never met the person on the other side, but knew a bunch about her just by what they said to one another.

We've got a new Greenie.

We got ours tomorrow. Elizabeth replied telepathically.

This boy's odd.

Elizabeth furrowed her brows and sat up, raising a hand above by the shafts that held the roof. The cabins were all made from wood and logs, took hours upon hours to build and were closed off with mud, water, and spit. The roofs were flat, made from tree branches with tarps. They didn't have leaves, their forests were coniferous, needles instead. She grabbed the leather book hidden on the shaft between some sticks and pulled it down. She began to write down what the girl was telling her.

We're supposed to get one tomorrow. I gotta tour her around, which means someone else is taking my spot. I hope she gets slaughtered by a Shade. She heard faint laughs. It's kinda funny.

Oh, I have to go. Newt's here.

Bye.