Maze A

"Hello

"Hello." 

Addison turned too quickly and fell into the side of a desk. The room was abandoned and looked as if war had happened inside. She noticed Thomas had touched something and he was stepping closer to the large screen that had appeared. Many of them appeared around the room, showing the same image of a woman. She pushed herself up and walked over quietly to the group as there was a woman dressed sharply in white on the screen. 

"My name is doctor Ava Paige. I'm the director of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully complete the Maze trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seemed to have prevented it. I'm sure by now you must all be confused, hungry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, that we've done to you, it was all done for a reason."

She furrowed her brows, wondering what the woman was talking about and referring to. The Maze was a trial? She was put there for the sake of a trial? Not because she was a teenage mastermind and criminal? It was all new information and most of it she disliked. It made her mad in a way, mad to know she lost two and a half years of her life because of them. And it all happened for a reason, a good one?

"I know you don't remember, but the sun had scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire. Famine. Suffering our global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worst. We call it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable, incurable. Or so we thought. In time a new generation emerged that could survive. Suddenly, there was hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed in harsh environments where their brain activity could be studied."

She was confused, all the monitors around the room had brain images on them, each with a person's name at the top of the screen. Each indicating what was going on and they were being studied. Her mouth agape as she stared behind her at the screen, still trying to take everything in. She saw the monitors with playbacks of them all, even herself. 

Her breath was lost for a moment when she glanced down to her side, noticing a warmth in her hand. Gazing up, Newt was staring at the screen with confusion in his eyes, hair flopped over his face and a cut on his left side of his face, below the bags under his eyes. His hand was in hers, holding it tightly. It seemed like a dream, but feeling her hand, he knew it hadn't been a dream because he could feel her, feel the warmth from her.

"All in an effort to understand what makes them different. What makes you different. You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have just begun as you'll no doubt soon discover. Not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow. People are scared. It may be too late for us. For me. But not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember, W.C.K.D is good."

Suddenly, the screen popped away, vanishing into thin air and they were all left in destroyed room full of glass and dead people. A door had too suddenly opened, leading a way out.