Chapter 3

Aurora's P.O.V.

"Bash!" I say as I miss the blueberry I tried to throw in his mouth.

"You have to practice your aim." Bash half joked but we all know my aim is not as good at Bash's.

"You're too mean." I say before he chuckles.

"I wouldn't be mean if you would be kissing me." Bash adds in before I roll my eyes.

"Too forward I see."

"I will take that as a no then."

"I never said no. Are you going to come and kiss me or am I just suppose to wait here?"

~~

"I had a lot of fun today, thank you." I tell Bash as we both get off our horses in the stable.

"I'll walk you to your chambers." Bash says before I smile at him.

Bash and I spend the whole day at the frozen lake. We have currently arrived at nightfall back to the castle. And as much as I would like for this to continue tonight, I can't. I had a lot of fun don't get me wrong especially when we we're making out but I can't have word going around. Not before I get married to at least a noble man.

"We can't. I can't have rumors going around." I explain to him before he nods.

"Have a goodnight then." Bash says before he makes his way out of the stable.

Was I too forward? Was it a bit too mean? Gosh, I don't want to lose him.

I wait for a couple of minutes after Bash leaves so I can leave and people won't think we arrived together.

I walk down the hall as I see Francis pacing in the corridor wearing his sleepwear.

"Francis, are you alright?" I say after I walk closer to him so he can see and hear me.

"I'm fine."

"And that sounds like a lie. Francis, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"It wouldn't be nothing if you were pacing late at midnight all by yourself in your sleepwear."

"Remember I'm engaged to Mary Queen of Scots?" He asks before I nod.

Is he worried about a girl? I mean it's Francis, he can pretty much get any girl he wants.

"Is she alright? Did she get hurt?"

"No, I just love another girl and I want to marry her. But you known I have to put the crown about my needs."

"That sounds familiar." I whisper under my breath.

"Pardon me?"

"Oh nothing."

"Mhmm sure. What's wrong with you? You're just walking back to your chambers this late?"

"I went riding." I say not telling the whole story.

"With Bash?" He says as I stand there shook.

"I saw you two leave together." He continues to speak before I understand where he is coming from.

"Yes, we went riding together."

"Aurora, be careful. You and I both know him and his reputation. Don't let him ruin yours."

"I am aware of what we're doing and I am taking precautions but nothing is going to happen. As you said earlier you have a responsibility to the crown and I am the same except mine is for my family."

"I'm sorry about what happened to Olivia." Francis says speaking about my sister.

"It's alright, it was her own choices, you did not do anything wrong."

"You want to go get food down at the kitchen?" Francis asks me before I nod.

"I always love a midnight snack." I add in.

Francis and I have always enjoy eating snacks late at night. That is how we first meet and bonded. 

"My lady." Francis says putting his hand out so he can escort me to the kitchen. 

"A gentleman, I see." I joke as we have always done this as a joke since we became friends. 

"Have you had a chance to meet a husband? I mean apart from all the time you spend with Bash, are you able to spend the other thing with men?" Francis asks me yet he could not phrase it correctly but I understand what he means.

"I have meet Lord Josh. He seems interested in me but I do not find myself attracted to him. He is who my father wants me to marry but i can not seem to connect with him." I say as we are making our way to the kitchen.

"Maybe you can not seem to connect with him because you only focus on Bash. And you do not want to marry Josh because you want to marry another man."

"You might be right, Francis. But I just want to spend all the time I can being unwed because once you wed everything changes."

"Like becoming a better king and having an heir."

"Francis, there is a chance you fall in love with Mary and same goes around. You have to be open minded." I explain to him before he nods.

"It is just hard to think of that future. I have not even seen Mary since we were kids."

 "Let's make a promise. If I give Josh a chance then you should too. With Mary of course not with Josh."

"And you're going to let go of Bash?"

"Not now. I can not recall a time I did not feel anything for Bash. If this is the only chance I have to be with him then I am going to take it even if it means keeping it a secret and being married to another."

"You have to be more careful with him. People know you are friends but if you keep spending all your time with him, they will think otherwise and start rumors. And then you would not be able to marry a noble man."

"If it makes you feel any better, I have a date tomorrow with Lord Josh. We are taking a carriage ride." 

"That sounds like you will have a lovely time." Francis says before smiling at me.

"I feel like you are being sarcastic. Lord Josh only cares and talk about his lands. I will die of boredom and your mother would not be there to save me."

"Speaking of my mother, she is going to find out what Bash and you have is so not innocent and that will not take a good turn."

"However, what Bash and I have is innocent. We just kissed a couple of times and that is it."

"That is it? You are talking about Bash and his reputation, no one will believe you. If you want to get married to a noble man, you have to part ways from Bash and now before things get bad." Francis says after we arrive at the kitchen.

"Shall we change topics? I am tired of being told what to do about my reputation and future all the time."

"Aurora, I am doing this for you. I do not want to see you hurt."