vi. trapped

vi. trapped

*    *    *

IT'S ANNABETH'S IDEA. Thea refused to pay and Annabeth didn't push it. Because Thea has limited money, and she isn't wasting hundreds on a ride to Los Angeles.

When they get into the taxi the driver gives them one look and it's clear what he's thinking. "That's three hundred miles. For that, you gotta pay upfront."

"You accept casino debit cards?" Annabeth asks.

He shrugs. "Some of 'em. Same as credit cards. I gotta swipe 'em through first."

Annabeth hands him her green LotusCash card and he looks at it skeptically. "Swipe it," she invites.

He does.

His meter starts rattling. The lights flash wildly. After nearly a minute an infinity symbol comes up next to the dollar sign, something that isn't even possible.

The cigar falls out of the driver's mouth. He looks back at them wide-eyed. "Where to in Los Angeles . . .uh, Your Highness?"

"The Santa Monica Pier." Annabeth sits up straight. Gross, she likes being called that. "Get us there fast, and you can keep the change."

She probably shouldn't have told him that. He never goes below ninety-five the whole way through the Mojave Desert. Which is rather annoying, since Thea's doing her best to nap. Realistically, she knows she should stay awake. The three of them should talk and reveal some information they probably forgot because that seems to be their style. Even if she wants to know, it doesn't really matter.

Ever since Thea was turned to stone, she's been tired. It's as if she was never meant to be wake up from her prison, that the Fates didn't mean for it to happen, and they're punishing her with a crippling yearning for sleep. Thea isn't sure why it's happening, but she sleeps despite it. Even if she has nightmares, sleep is the most relaxed she ever feels. There are no worries, no people--just blank.

For once Thea doesn't have a nightmare, and when she's shaken awake by Annabeth, she feels replenished.

"Let's go," Annabeth says, "we're here."

The sun is already starting to set.

"Alright, alright."

Thea stretches as she gets out, and with a groan, she straps her bag and sword back onto her back. She's used to the weight, but even she knows there's no way it's good for her back.

Santa Monica is beautiful. It looks like the movies, and it smells bad, but Thea can't find it in herself to care. Carnival rides line the Pier, palm trees line the sidewalks, and people are surfing, waiting for the perfect wave. Thea wants to jump into the ocean and swim until she can't breathe, but she doesn't.

They walk down to where the water is and Thea stands right where the tide rolls in, the rubber which wets the rubber soles of her boots.

"This is awesome," she says. "This is so much better than I imagined.

"Wait," Grover says. "Have you never been to the beach before?"

"No." Thea shrugs as she breathes in the salty air. "I didn't really have much time when I was constantly running for my life. I saw some cool scenery, though."

"Thea—"

Percy steps knee-deep into the water.

"Percy?" Annabeth says. "What are you doing?"