introduction

like my mother's face, like a ship that carried me through the deadliest storm

—rainer maria blake

THEA VASQUEZ had known since she could first understand the concept that her father was a godly being. Her mother—a grandchild of Hecate, fluent in the godly world—made sure she was educated on everything she could possibly learn, so that when the day came to find her father, Thea would be ready. It was supposed to be a coming-of-age moment, something that Thea had waited years for. It was supposed to be the time she finally found out who her father was.

But that didn't go to plan. Her mother was killed by a hellhound, leaving Thea on her own to travel to Camp Half-Blood on Long Island alone, which was frighteningly far from her home in the mountains of north Georgia. With a heavy heart and a determination that nothing could shake, Thea made her way painstakingly across the country, no longer in the safety of her home's magical barrier. She was so close, she made it to New Jersey, before she ran into who she realized too late was Medusa.

It felt as if no time had passed when Thea fell to the ground, surrounded by two demigods, a satyr, and Medusa's decapitated head. After several moments of horror, shock, and confusion, the truth was revealed: it had been three years since Thea was turned to stone, three years since she started her search for her father.

She concludes that she has to follow these people. Not because she wants to—she's so close to Camp Half-Blood—but because she's woken from her stone state. None of the other statues did. For some reason, one of their arrivals had triggered Thea's awakening, and she has a suspicion it has to do with her father.

althea "thea" vasquez, daughter of unknown.

" dang, you would think after an eternal sleep for three years i wouldn't have to take daily naps. "

DISCLAIMER: i own nothing but my original characters.

WARNING: this will contain mature topics, such as: death, ptsd, depression, violence & major injury.

NOTE I: is this unneeded? probably. but imma do it anyway! 
NOTE II: hello from 2024!! i have edited wildheart thoroughly to fix up some errors and change it from past tense to present tense, as that's not what i prefer to write in. because of this, many of the comments will be gone from this book :( i hate to see them go but it's new & improved! there's very little changes. the only notable one is that annabeth is black in this! this was written before the pjo show was even announced, much less leah's casting, but i love her in the role so i've gone back to change every descriptor to fit black!annabeth. pls lmk if i missed any!

 pls lmk if i missed any!