A Journey Into Darkness

Everyone had gathered in the Ops centre; Izzy stood at the top of the steps, her voice clear as she spoke, "We have received news from Idris, a Shadowhunter by the name of Juliette Dubois was viciously attacked last night. She had been sent by the Paris Institute to meet with the Consul about the sightings of an unidentified shadow demon in the city. Unfortunately, she never made it to the meeting." Izzy stopped to take a slow breath, her eyes searched the crowd; Maryse and Luke were standing at the back, and she found comfort in her mother's kind smile. "If anyone would like some time to mourn, please see me in my office afterwards. This demon is more powerful than any other demon we have faced before. From what we have heard, our seraph blades do not affect it, nor does electrum. I have been in contact with the Iron Sisters, and they are currently searching for a weapon which may harm this being. Until such a weapon is found, I am increasing the number of required members for each patrol. I am also advising everyone not to leave the institute alone, there is strength in numbers and if we are to fight this threat then we need everyone we've got." There was a sea of nodding heads and murmuring agreements as the group dispersed. When Izzy had become Head of the Institute, she had always been a little nervous before giving speeches, but Simon was always there by her side, giving her silent reassurance the whole way through. "How was it? Did I ramble on?" She said turning to him. He gave her a brilliant smile and took her hands, "It was perfect. Have I ever told you that you could be a Jedi?" Izzy giggled. She found the nerdy side of Simon adorable, even if no one else did. She had watched all these Sci-Fi movies with him and she had, to her surprise, found it all quite fascinating, but she was nowhere near as obsessed with it as he was. "What's a Jedi?" Jace asked. He and Clary had come towards them and he was wearing a baffled expression as he looked at the two of them. "Only the most badass warriors in the Star Wars universe," Simon answered, smiling at Izzy. Jace raised an eyebrow and turned to Izzy, "Really, Iz, this is the guy you want to spend the rest of your life with?" He said. Clary stifled a laugh before rolling her eyes at him, "That's not what we came over here to talk to you about," she said. "We finished Jonathan's diary and it ends with him talking about going to the Seelie Court. We know he went, he killed the previous queen, but we don't know anything about his transformation." Izzy's expression shifted from one of amusement to one of seriousness very quickly. "You guys want to go to the Seelie Court." She paused for a moment before speaking again, "I'll set up a meeting on one condition, we all go together."

Jace and Clary had gone back to their room to "prepare" for the mission, even if that were true, which Izzy highly doubted it was, there was no way to prepare for the Seelie Court, it had a new surprise with each visit. Simon and Izzy were in her office; Meliorn was on his way out after coming to inform her that the Queen had accepted their meeting. She turned to Simon as the door shut behind Meliorn, "Simon," she spoke in a quiet voice. He had been looking at the stained-glass windows but turned to face her, "Yep," he replied, his voice perky as usual. Izzy's voice shook slightly, "I never asked you if you wanted to come to the Seelie Court with Jace and Clary, I just assumed you would. If you're not comfortable with it, I'll stay behind with you, everyone will understand." He gave her a quizzical look, "Izzy I appreciate the concern, but honestly, it's okay." He drew Izzy towards him, "The truth is, I always knew deep down that Clary didn't love me like the way she loves Jace. From the way she looked at him, in the way her eyes would naturally drift towards him when he entered a room. I couldn't see it then, but I see it now because it's the way I look at you, Isabelle. The destination had already been set, that kiss only got us there quicker. I don't have any hard feelings about the situation; I look at Clary, and even Jace and they're both so happy, and I'm happy too, Izzy, with you. I'll even pinky swear to it if that makes you feel better." She gave him a small laugh and he smiled down at her before meeting her lips with his. Even though Izzy was one of the fiercest warriors in Alicante, she was also the gentlest person he had ever met.

Everyone had met outside the institute as they waited for Merlion to escort them to the Court. Magnus and Alec had portalled in from Idris; Magnus as bright and glittery as ever with a sparkling electric blue blazer. Alec, on the other hand, dressed in dull colours, apart from the glitter-encrusted cufflinks which everyone suspected was Magnus' touch. Alec looked around him before speaking, "First of all, why is Clary's shirt the wrong way round?" Both Jace and Clary immediately looked down at her shirt, colour rising in their cheeks. Alec shook his head before continuing, "Jokes aside, this is a dangerous mission. There is a good chance to get the information we need; the Queen will ask for something in return. This is usually the way with Seelies, don't let her get into your head." He turned around as Meliorn approached the group, dressed in his silver and gold armour and carrying a spear. He smiled at them, "If everyone is ready, please follow me, the Queen is quite excited to meet you all," he said.

Clary glanced upwards at the ceiling; it was as if all the surrounding trees had stretched out their hands to protect the court from a scorching sun. There was no sunlight in the court, yet a pool of light poured through the room giving it that bluey green tint that Clary never forgot. Upon entering, the group was stripped of their weapons and steles, so Clary's hand rested idly by her side, the other clasped in Jace's. The Queen walked in, and it was Izzy who noticed it first, the striking resemblance between Clary and the Queen, they could have been sisters. The Queen's eyes darted between each member before resting on Clary. She gave her a wide grin, and Clary could see the mischievousness behind her eyes. "Clarissa Adele Fairchild, what an honour." Her chilling voice rang throughout the room and Jace tightened his grip on Clary's hand. "Your Highness, the honour is all mine," Clary replied; she knew she had to be courteous. The Queen gestured for her guests to sit down on some silk cushions, which had been laid out for them in the centre of the room, she moved to sit on her throne; her eyes still fixed on Clary. "What can I do for you," the Queen asked. Clary spoke carefully, "Your highness, my brother Jonathan, took refuge in the court whilst he had undergone his transformation. We have reason to believe his transformation is linked to a new kind of demon we have never encountered before; I had hoped you or another member of your court could shed some light on the topic." The Queen was resting her chin on one hand, her eyes glittering as Clary spoke. "Fortunately for you, I was present as a high lady of the court at the time of Jonathan Morgenstern's alteration. I must say, it was quite a show. I will tell you what you want to know." She smirked before she spoke again, "For a price of course."