29

Billie stared out her window of her room, listening to the sounds of the busy streets of Los Angeles and trying to focus her thoughts. They were pretty scattered at the moment, and Billie was honestly having some trouble figuring out how to center them, but she figured it was just because she was still a little stuck on the conversations she'd had earlier that morning.

But she couldn't lie that thinking in general made her fatigued, and she had taken a nap for a few hours when she felt a little too dizzy to stay up. It had been a restless sleep, her dreams slowly morphing into the nightmare of her falling down the concrete steps of the subway each time they started. It was like her mind wouldn't let her forget that memory.

And it was terrifying.

Each time she reached the moment after the ground rose to meet her and she collided with the pavement, her breathing harsh and body trembling slightly from the memory. The worst thing about the situation was that she was pretty tired, but yet she couldn't sleep. She was honestly concerned and wondered if having nightmares for the rest of time was her fate.

Billie had woken up a few minutes earlier and had decided maybe the reason why she couldn't sleep was there was too much stuff running through her mind to truly be able to relax and let her sleep take control of her. Hence her staring out the window and trying to calm down her reckless thoughts with the soothing and familiar sounds of the city.

But she had a feeling that there would be no reprieve from her racing thoughts until she went to see Jellybean.

But she was too scared to without Brandon.

Therefore, she knew what she needed was Brandon. Not just because his reassurance was definitely comforting, but also because she was beginning to think he truly had decided he no longer wanted anything to do with her, and she needed proof that it wasn't true.

But why had he left?

Her thoughts were interrupted when she suddenly heard voices bickering in the corridor. They were growing louder with each second that passed as they approached her door. And in slight surprise, Billie realised she recognised the voices as Drew and Prince's.

"Not like that! Be careful not to drop it!"

"Quiet, Drew. You'll wake the dead with how loud you're being."

"Not funny, Ezra. We're in a hospital. In the ICU."

"Wait nah, I swear I didn't mean it like that!"

Then Drew and Prince appeared in her doorway, lugging with them a flat screen TV.

"Billie! You're awake" Drew greeted, waving happily with one hand.

"Drew!" Prince exclaimed, "Keep your hand on the TV!"

With a squeak of surprise, Drew quickly replaced her hand before it crashed to the ground, and Billie snorted in amusement at Drew's scatterbrained antics while the two of them stumbled around for a few seconds, trying to catch their balance and prevent dropping the TV. Prince looked about one hundred percent done at the moment, and Billie wondered how long they had been lugging the TV around.

And speaking of TVs...

"What's with the TV?" Billie said, pulling the covers off of her legs and sitting up slowly, being careful not to move too much and bother her healing abdomen.

"Well, we figured you'd need some entertainment if you were going to be stuck here for a while." Drew started, walking slowly with Prince through the door towards to the table with some 'get well soon' gifts.

"And I suppose I don't need a TV in my room for the time being." Prince added, "So we thought we'd bring you this since you don't have one in your room."