CHAPTER FOUR

Today was Initiation Day. The girls woke up and entered a large room which they called the common room. This is where everyone gathered at the start of the day.

"I hope you all have adjusted into your new rooms. Today we will be transforming you to fit into this new world. We will split you up into small groups so you know where everything is. For the newcomers, residents who have been here for a few weeks will show you around," Ivan informed them.

Sapphire and Toph were put into the same group which they were not too happy about. Violet and Jules were put into another group with a couple of other newcomers as well.

Violet walked with the rest of her group looking around this big facility.

"Hi everyone. I'm Jonas and I'll be your guide. I got here three weeks ago. It's intimidating at first but you'll get the hang of where everything is soon enough," he said.

Sapphire was studying- no, staring at Jack, their guide. Tall, his dark hair growing out just a bit, and eyes that seemed to look straight through her. Studying was when you wanted to get to know someone's intentions. In this moment she was being seduced, and he hadn't even been trying.

Toph noted the infatuated, dreamy look that was present on Sapphire's face, the gaze she fixed the boy with; and rolled her eyes abruptly.

The city, though small, looked too big and out of place among the thick trees that veiled the facility from view from a passing car. It was night time by now and the city lights were astonishing. Violet and Jules looked around with amazed and shocked faces. The rest of the newcomers too. They have never seen anything so bright and beautiful.

"Well, here's the city," Jonas stated. "This is where we get our supplies and also have some fun. Being stuck in there isn't always the most interesting. So look around and enjoy yourselves before we have to go back."

Violet wandered around looking at the different buildings and lights. Jonas walked up next to her.

"Are you enjoying the city?"

"Yeah, it's amazing. I've never seen anything like it nor do I remember anything."

"That happens at first but your memories will slowly develop and come back to you."

"Why is that?" she demanded, not meaning to sound so crass.

He was quiet for a minute, eyes on the darkened sidewalk lit only with the neon flashes of the city. "I don't know. None of us do."

"And who's that?- us?"

"Our group. Me, Jack, Jin, xxx."

"Oh."

"We can't figure it out."

"You tried?"

"Tried." He stopped again, sounding like he was measuring his words. "Tried and gave up."

"Oh, well I guess it's my turn to try then," she said, sounding brave-like.

"None of the guards or leaders here will say anything.

"Would you expect them to?"

"There's nothing to figure out."

"I'm sure there is. You just didn't find it."

"I do hope you're more clever than us, then."

"We'll see about that," said Violet as Jonas looked at her up and down stunned by her confidence.

Their group walked back to the facility where Jules and Violet met back up with Sapphire and Toph. They talked briefly together in the common room, which was filled with people, about their tour.

"I didn't hear a word he said," Sapphire said, nodding slightly to Jack some yards away. "I mean..."

Toph rolled her eyes again and shook her head. "She's been doing this all day. Get over yourself."

"It's not myself I'm thinking about. At least not myself alone."

"You're gross."

"No you."

"Alright guys," Jule interfered. "That's enough with your guys' bickering for today. Violet and I saw the city tonight and it was amazing."

"Gosh just look at Jack," Sapphire said with a smiling face as she was falling in love with him. "That's amazing, I bet-"

"Shut the hell up," Toph said, annoyed at her continuous comments.

"Okay, okay, whatever. We saw the city too, I was shocked at how big it was."

"Yeah us too. Our guide was this guy named Jonas. I don't know much but I'm sure that he implied to me that this place isn't what it seems to be," Violet said looking curiously around her.

"What makes you say that? You mean they didn't just kidnap us out of the good of their hearts?" Toph said dryly.

"I only mean we could look into it."

"Look where, huh? We're trapped and there's nowhere out."

"I was just saying. You wanna stay here and not have a clue why? What even is that?"

"Blindness," Jules supplied.

"Guys, I didn't say I don't want to know anything," Toph insisted. "Just, where would we start?"

"Anywhere."