{Dragon Slayer}

Warnings: slight angst but mostly fluff

Your fear landscape had always been the same. First it was the fear of being turned into a monster. Second it was killing your family. Third it was being eaten alive. Fourth was being killed by a dark faceless creature. Finally your last fear, number five. It was the fear of being abandoned.

It always was the worse. Your family back in Erudite was caring for the most part. They would tell you that you were a disgrace for leaving and that you needed them but they wouldn't help. They would always turn their back and then so would your faction. Then Eric would turn his back and you turned invisible.

You jerk up from the chair. Four had been watching you. He was your worst friend and your most trusted enemy. Most thought you hated each other. You trained with him and occasionally you fought like brother and sister but if it came down to it you had each other's back.

This was the first time he saw you get out of your landscape. You were shaking and crying but eventually you got control on your sickly emotions.

"Good job." He simply said before walking out. "Thanks." You mumbled. You stood up and walked down to the gym. It was well worth getting in an hour or so before you slept.

Eric trained in the morning and about an hour before you at night. He wasn't as stern as his demeanor let on. For example he'd subconsciously cuddle into you while sleeping and would be protective when you were sick.

He also really really liked hugs. You found that out when you first started to get serious with him. He walked in shaken by something. You had never seen him like this. "Y-Y/n?" He said shutting the door. "Eric are you okay?" He didn't respond. Instead he walked over and carried you to the bed. He sat you down and sat next to you. He cuddled into your chest. "Hug me." He said. He wrapped his arms around you and you returned his embrace. You stayed like that for about and hour. After he finally broke away. "You give good hugs." He said like a hurt child. "I like hugs they feel nice." You smiled sadly. "Tell me what happened?" He pulled you under the covers cuddling into you. "In the morning."

You snapped back to the present and walk into the gym. The large orange punching bags were mostly taken by some of the people like you who preferred to train at night. You walk to the throwing knives. You throw one, then another. After an hour you had hit the major pressure points, arteries, and outlined it with knives perfectly.

As you turn to get more knives you see countless other dauntless members staring and marveling at your knife skills. Most of them you recognized as hard working initiates and transfers. You decide to just head up to your room early.

"Move aside initiates." You say putting your
Knives back in there proper spot in the training gym.

Eric had been amazed at you throwing skills. That's the biggest reason you outranked him. He left Erudite for dauntless just as you had left Candor. You left because you were the biggest liar there. You also thought there principles were stupid. So what a lie can be a good thing. Candors also never knew when to shut up. You did. That impressed Eric as well.
After initiation you thought him how to hit wherever he wanted. That's when you two grew close. 

You grabbed your orange and black bag and head to the stairs that led to some of the apartments. Specifically yours and Eric's. You take the rail in your hand and begin your quick Ascend up the stairs. You grab your key and unlocked the door.

The lock clicked open and you walked into the apartment. He usually was in the living room, but he wasn't. You thought he must have had a meeting and you made you a cup of ramen. It was the easiest and you were exhausted.

After you do that you sit and watch tv. The door opens and you see a very disheveled Eric walking in. He was pale and he was sweating profusely. He was shaky and his eyes were dilated in- was that fear. His fist that were white knuckle griping the bottom hem of his jacket gave away he was scared. "Eric, baby, what's the matter?" You say walking up to him and wrapping your long arms around him. He set his head on your shoulder, but as you expected he didn't return the embrace. "Y-Y/n I'm going t-to get a shower can we t-talk after!" He said desperately trying not to cry. He hasn't cried in years he didn't want to lose it twice in one day.

He stepped into the shower running through the conversation he had just had with four in his head again.

Eric's flashback to about twenty five minutes ago

He was walking down the stone hallway almost back to his apartment to wait for you. Four ran up and grabbed his shoulder from behind. Of all the people He wanted to see right now he was near the bottom. "What do you want Four?" Eric growled out. "Eric I know that we don't get along very well." He held up a hard drive. "There is something I know we have in common that you need to see, now." I was intrigued. "Fine but make it quick." He pulled Eric into a his closed off office. There was a computer in there. He plugged in the hard drive. "I'll need to clear this after but if you need space to calm down after there's a room back there." Did he even know who he was talking to. Eric Coulter doesn't need room to calm himself down, he was always collected. Some images piped up. One showed y/n on them. It said inconclusive. That's all I needed to see. Eric walked to the corner and started to clench and unclench his fists then grabbing at his jacket. Four erased the memory and destroyed the hard drive. "She's like me." He said. Eric was letting tears fall down freely. "Your D-Divergent t-too?" He nodded. "I really am sorry about-." Eric walked over to him and hugged him. "T-thank you." He must have been in shock but he hesitatingly hugged back. "Your welcome." Eric pulled away. "I need to tell you that Jeanine has this plan to get rid of you know. I-I can't let anything happen to her." Eric spoke softly near the end. "We ha-have to stop this." Eric sniffed. "I owe you four." He said pulling himself together just barely though. He nodded. "You need to confront her." He said patting the taller mans back. "Y-yeah." Then Eric slowly walked back to his apartment with what felt like a bullet in his heart.

End flashback

You hopped in the shower in your friends room across the hall and care back over in sweats and one of Eric's tshirts. You opened the bedroom door and saw him lying there under the blankets sobbing. "Eric." You say and rush over to you boyfriend's side, and lay down next to him. He pulled you into a tight hug and continued to sob.

You had never seen the great Eric Coulter cry let alone sob. Your arms wrap around his toned bare torso immediately in response. You lay there like that for a few minutes until he managed to calm down. His glassy blue eyes met you y/e/c ones. "W-why didn't you tell me?" He asked shakily." "Tell you what?" You asked confused before it hit you. You let four see your landscape. "Oh." You say ducking your head and pulling away. "Four told you?" He nodded. "Why didn't you tell me love?" You blush and looked ashamed. "I thought you wouldn't want me anymore." You whispered almost in tears but wanting to stay strong even if the brave Eric Coulter could not. He cupped your chin and pulled your head up to look at him. "I'll always love you, no one else." He looked at you taking in every inch of your face desperately devoting it to memory. "I'm sorry I'm not completely dauntless." You say. "Don't apologize. I'm glad he told me." He swallowed. "Please don't say your gonna turn me in." You say. His lip was still quivering. "I was gonna say I'll protect you." He said. "I know I you don't need dragon slayer or a knight in shining armor, but I'll always protect you." He looked scared. "No matter how scared I'll be." You smirked. "You- scared." Then you did a fainting motion to lighten the mood. He laughed.

He knew he had to tell you about Jeanine's plan but first he needed to kill her and stop it. "Sleep." You said cuddling into his chest.
He whispered into your hair. "I'll always slay your dragons." You smile and drifted off.

As he lay on his side he threw his leg over top of your leg and put his arm directly on your spine resting his hand on the back of your neck and covered your head with his hand. He was a light sleeper and there wasn't any windows obviously. He sleep like this from now on. He did this so if anyone tried to kill you while you were asleep he could easily roll on top of you if he needed to rake a bullet. And he swore to himself if needed he would. He loved you to much to let anyone hurt you. He would protect you until his last breath.