Part 1 - Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

An hour before midnight, as most lamps were quietly extinguished to give in to the quiet sleep provided by the last hour of eventide, a solitary figure can be seen slowly walking on the road towards the Royal Palace.  Bidam looked at the two scrolls in his hand and smiled, I am doing the right thing. This will put her mind at ease.

When he arrived at the Palace he was immediately admitted in spite of the late hour. He then asked the Royal Household Guard to announce him to the Queen. He found Her Majesty still seated at her desk, not even divested of her Royal vestments, poring over several books.

After greeting the Queen formally, he sat before her and presented the two rolls of parchment to her. The Queen slowly read the document and looked up at him, obviously dumbfounded by what she had read.

            “Did you write this yourself?” she asked, her eyes betraying her amazement.

            “Yes, Your Majesty. It is my covenant to you,” Bidam said, smiling at her bewildered expression. “It simply states that should Her Majesty leave this world before I do, I, Bidam, will relinquish all my political offices and leave the secular world to devote my remaining days in tonsure, looking after your memorial,” he replied, a soft smile etched on his handsome face.

            “Bidam!” the Queen exclaimed, her heart pounding in her chest, desperately wanting to believe the truth of his words. Is this true? Will he really give up everything when I’m gone? Is it possible?

            “We will each have a copy. Just in case you’re unable to make its contents public then I will be able to present this to the courts in due time,”

            The Queen, unsure on how to react, stared at Bidam, a slight frown creasing her brow. She wanted to put her arms around him and thank him for such a noble gesture yet her inability to fathom Bidam’s intentions restrained her from doing so.

            “Why are you doing this?” the Queen asked him instead.

            “Well, this is what you’ve been worried about, isn’t it? That I’m only seeking to gain more power through you? But, for someone like me, it’s really not a hard thing to do. My devotion for you and this nation are one and the same and should you leave this world before me, then this whole kingdom will lose its meaning for me. What importance will any government position or political office have to me after you’re gone?” he said. You are my world, Deokman. Without you, I will cease to exist!

            “Bidam!” the Queen exclaimed, overwhelmed by Bidam’s effusive declaration.

            “I will do everything in my power to fulfil this oath. I will do this for Your Majesty’s and this nation’s sake. I, Bidam, swear this on my life.” Bidam said.

            The Queen looked at him, stunned speechless by his sworn oath.

            Bidam then gave the Queen a copy and retained the other one for himself, unaware that such a well-meaning document will set off a deadly chain of events that will ultimately seal their fates.

A few days after Bidam’s secret oath, while the Queen was in conference with Lords Yong Chun, Misaeng, Seo Hyeon and the newly-appointed Sangdaedung Bidam discussing the situation with Baekje, a breathless Lord Al Cheon, Her Majesty’s personal aide and protector, came bursting through the Queen’s chambers; his pleased expression a manifestation of the good news he was bringing.