Part 2 - Chapter 12

The sudden hush that descended over the camp after Bidam's fall was unnerving and eerie. It was an awkward silence brought forth by uncertainty and embarrassment. The Queen knew that had it not been her betrothed lying dead on the ground, had it been any other rebel brought to heel, the crowd would now be breaking into shouts of joy and triumph.

She should be thankful, therefore, that they were conscientious enough to take her feelings into consideration. But then, their silence also told her that they saw her, first and foremost, as a woman – easily dictated and controlled by her emotions, and not as their leader – which should not be the case. She could not deny that the previous events had taken such a big toll on her, both emotionally and physically, that only by sheer willpower was she able to withstand the agony of its unfolding. Her subjects, however, should never doubt her capacity to rule as their Queen. So, instead of giving in to the turbulence inside her, she mustered the last of her strength and addressed the crowd before her.

"Our Heavenly Kingdom is finally at peace. Everyone involved in the rebellion had been rounded up and will be dealt with accordingly. But we must not be complacent. Let the events of the past few days be a constant reminder to us that we must not waver in our goals. We must continue to strive to uplift the standard of living of our people, root out those who are abusing their position and authority, tamp down corruption at its root, strengthen our defences and give our all to the country that we love. Together, we will bring our Heavenly Kingdom to greater glory! Let this be the goal of every citizen of Silla!"

Her speech was met with thunderous cheers of 'Long live the Queen, Long live Silla' led by her officers, Yushin and Al Cheon.

But as she looked down at the body of her beloved, all noise was blocked out by the thundering beat of her heart. The air suddenly turned hot and oppressive. Because as she now gazed at her betrothed's lifeless form, she could not help but relive the moments before his final downfall. How she wanted to scream for them to stop, to run to his side and shield him from the vicious blows being dealt him. How she fought so hard to restrain her urge to put her own body between him and his executioners. How she bit her lips to refrain from calling out to him.

It was hell on earth for her – watching how they slowly cut him down, how the arrows savagely pierced his body, how his strength finally seeped out from his wounds. Now, it was her strength that was seeping out through her tears. And as the thunderous cheers of her men echoed inside her head, the Queen saw the world spinning around her. She fought to stay upright, but her body finally gave up and collapsed on the ground, just a few steps from her beloved's still form.

Oh, Bidam! Forgive me! I was not able to protect you. I'm sorry, my love, but I had no choice. I had to do my duty to the people. Please forgive me...

They were now lying face-to-face, 6 paces apart; hot tears now flowing freely as she lifted her arm and tried to reach for Bidam's hand. Darkness was slowly enveloping her and tried as hard as she might, she could not bridge the distance between them. She could see the sun shining down on her face, yet there was no warmth, only a pervading cold that forced her body to welcome the silent bliss of oblivion.

  **********

The Queen slowly woke up to the ministrations of a tender hand. When she opened her eyes, she was greeted by the smiling face of Lady Mangmyeong, Yushin's mother. The elder woman had personally been seeing to the Queen's welfare for years now; just right after the Queen Mother had elected to be a tonsured servant in the temple where the King was buried.