Part 2 - Chapter 10

The crisp morning air brought a different kind of chill to the two men traversing the road outside Myeongwhal Sanseong. It was a coldness that permeated their skin, their hearts and their very souls. The total defeat of their rebel forces crushed not only their dreams but their hopes as well. And as San Tak trudged behind the stooped figure of his master, he could not help but wonder at the future that lay before them.

All his life, San Tak had been subject to the whims and dictates of his betters. He was a simple man and he never nurtured any real ambition for himself. He joined the army not because he harboured any aspirations for greatness. He did it to ensure the survival of his family. Life as a peasant brought nothing but pain and misery. They lived and died without consequence. Their births and deaths recorded as mere statistic, an aside in a noble's tally of his properties and resources. His wages as a soldier ensured that his parents and siblings would have more than enough to fend for themselves. It guaranteed independence from the usury of the less than honourable landowners who took more than was required, leaving their tenants destitute and on the verge of starvation.

A soldier's life is no walk in the park, either. They faced constant danger, especially during times of war where they lose control of their fates once they step into the battlefield. But at least it provided a steady income and even special perks and privileges at times, depending on their commander. It also brought a sense of direction and purpose, a hope for a brighter future. A lot of peasant-born soldiers have advanced through the ranks and moved up a few notches higher up the rungs of society; a few even married into nobility or the richer merchant class.

But San Tak had no such delusions. He knew he did not have the knack or the sophistication for such endeavors. Politics meant nothing to him. He was content to serve and to follow. What he lacked in skills, he made up for in unquestioning loyalty and unwavering zeal. He faced the bleak existence of a serf and when Lady Mishil recruited him with the promise of a better future for his family, he did not entertain any second thoughts. In his simple way of thinking, she was his savior and so deserved nothing but his total fidelity and servitude. When she passed away it seemed only natural for him to transfer his loyalty to her son.

That is why, even after a lot of his comrades went their own way and abandoned their leader, San Tak remained by Bidam's side. He felt the stirrings of apprehension, however, when he realized that his master was moving towards the Queen's encampment and not seeking refuge for himself.

"Forgive me, my Lord, but isn't this the way leading to the Queen's camp?" he asked as he ran towards his master's side.

Bidam slightly turned towards him, surprise written in his eyes as he looked at San Tak, apparently unaware of his presence. Then the resignation that San Tak had seen earlier in his face returned and Bidam resumed his trance-like walk towards the camp.

Panic now started creeping up San Tak and he moved to block Bidam's path.

"My Lord, please. We have to get away from here. I'm sure the other generals are waiting for you at the mines. We can still make it if we leave now," he pleaded.

Bidam stopped in front of him but his gaze was still fixed towards the direction of the Queen's camp. San Tak waited for his master to speak but he only pushed past him and started walking towards the camp again.

San Tak feared that the shock of their coup's failure had driven his master into despair and was now determined to take on the Queen's forces on his own. He knew that he was never good with words, but he had to try to break through his master's stupor so they could make their escape. Squaring his shoulders, San Tak darted in front of Bidam and grabbed his arm.

"Lord Bidam, we can still get to the mines undetected. I know a secret path through the forest that will lead us directly to it. Please, my Lord, we have to go quickly!" he cried, his desperation now seeping into his voice. Bidam remained staring far beyond him so San Tak shook his master's arm to gain his attention.