Prologue

PROLOGUE

            Midnight. Only the soft twitter of crickets broke the silence of the slumbering forest. The lone figure of a man sat motionless behind the trees, watching the deserted road. His dark clothes, together with the wide-brimmed hat that covered his face helped him blend with the surrounding forest, rendering him invisible to the untrained eye. Silent and unmoving, like a predator stalking its unsuspecting victim, he lay quietly in wait. He knew that his mark would not risk travelling through the main road to the capital.

           After the incident at Chuwha County all roads leading to Seorabol would surely be heavily-guarded, if not barricaded by now. His target's only chance of evading the authorities would be the back roads that traversed the forest, and this same road, being the shortest route between the mines and the capital, would be the most logical one he would take. He also knew that the mines would be his target's only refuge now that their rebellious plot had been exposed.

             For the past few days he had been observing his target's movements and he was not happy with what he had learned. The weapons and other troop provisions he saw being systematically stored within the abandoned mines near the border of Seorabol confirmed his suspicion. His target, together with his co-conspirators, were actively preparing for an uprising. It was time that he put a stop to their delusions. He had reached the limit of his patience and he could no longer tolerate their sly manipulations, their illusions of grandeur, their unquenchable thirst for power. It was also about time that he honored his promise to Her Majesty.

            At last, the distinct sound of shuffling feet was heard. His prey had arrived. Silently, he left his hiding place and moved towards the road. Approaching was a group of men, casting nervous glances as they walked into the darkened forest, their torches forming eerie shadows against the trees. Slowly he advanced towards them, unaware of another dark shape shadowing his every step.

            The men halted when his tall frame, clad in a non-descript attire, blocked their path. The large straw hat which he wore low on his brow obscured his face and a long sword was held loosely in his hand. They were startled when, in an imposing tone, he called out to their leader.

            "Yeomjong! Show yourself, you coward! Stop hiding behind your men and face me!" he shouted.

            "Who are you to address me that way, you miserable wretch!" a voice from behind the men answered.

            The man removed the straw hat concealing his face and flung it towards Yeomjong. He slowly lifted his head. His eyes were blazing with unmistakable fury as he greeted Yeomjong with a mocking smile.

            "Bidam!" Yeomjong exclaimed. He tentatively stepped back, genuinely fearing for his life. Yeomjong knew Bidam well and he immediately recognized the bloodlust in his opponent's unwavering stare.

            "My Lord! Where have you been? We've been searching all over for you!" Yeomjong cried after regaining a little of his composure.

            "It's over, Yeomjong. I'm sick and tired of your despicable conspiracies. So, stop wasting my time and let's get this over with quickly! You're not the only one on my list, afterall!" Bidam replied, sneering.  

            Yeomjong knew in his heart that Bidam was not to be fooled and was bent on killing him. There was no forgiveness to be found in his superior this time. Yeomjong made to run as he screamed for his men to attack the hostile new arrival.

            "What are you waiting for, you fools? Kill him! Kill him!" he shrieked.

            Yeomjong's men ran towards Bidam, their drawn swords pointing menacingly at him. Bidam smiled and slowly unsheathed his own sword. He flexed his neck, as if loosening the tense muscles there and with his feet postured apart, braced for the onslaught, the silver blade of his sword glinting maliciously in the firelight.