Temper

I overheard the twins talking about using makeup to change my face so I don't have to wear the mask all the time. It's a magnificent idea. But they said they will have to work on it later.

"We have to head to dinner!" Angel announces urgently from outside the room. The girls and I head out smiling, following Squelch, Gangle, and Angel up and out of my building.

"Everyone will love you once Phantasma opens," Midnight states, nudging me with her elbow as we walk to the main building. Once in, we find our way to the dining room.

"Welcome," a woman, who Angel told me is Madame Giry, greets me warmly. Across the room I feel a stare, "Have a seat, dinner will be right out."

I sit at the only open seat which just happens to be next to the source of the stare I was feeling. Feeling very unwelcome by the girl next to me, I look at Angel with pleading eyes.

"Melody, you can sit at my seat for tonight," My Angel saves me once more, but this time, it's from an awkward conversation.

"Thank you," I say getting up and sitting at the head of the table. The seating goes a little like this starting from my left and going around.

Isabelle

Midnight

Madame Giry(at the other head)

Meg

Angel

Me

I'm still getting that stare from Meg. In a few moments dinner is out on the table. Porkroast, green beans, and some wine.

"How was your day Meg?" Midnight asks the girl. She doesn't seem to be so happy, but then I remember that I died today.

"It was ok," Meg has her head buried in a newspaper that's still on the front page. I start to wonder how many times she has read the article about me.

"Meg, get your face out of the paper and socialize, we have a guest!" Madame Giry scolds, "At least tell us what your reading if you're that stuck to it," Madame Giry seems curious.

"It's says that Fantine committed suicide," Meg states. She starts reading straight from the paper, "She used to pick on her little brother, Gustave, until he would cry."

This infuriates me. I would NEVER, I mean NEVER MAKE MY LITTLE BABY BROTHER CRY.

I had picked up my fork, but as pain starts spreading across my face, I drop it violently. The pain is unbearable as I interrupt Meg, "You shouldn't believe what people write in the newspaper. Some of that isn't true," I state, but Meg keeps reading. She seems to just ignore me

"She had given her brother a bruise the day before she died. The bruise stretches around his arm because she grabbed him too hard," I can't believe what I'm hearing. I try to control my temper, but it doesn't seem to be working.

"Stop reading," I state, not even asking. The pain in my face is burning like someone lit it on fire. Angel tries to interject but the girl continues.

Meg ignores both of us, "Christine didn't say anything about the situation! He, but Rao- her husband said that she would harass everyone. It would make her feel better about her deformity," I finally burst into tears as blood drips from under my mask.

"JUST SHUT UP!" I yell, my vision turns red as I bolt out of the room. I rip my mask off and put it on a chair before running outside. I cry, running through the gates and into the street.
I scream, curling up into a ball on the cold wet pavement as street lamps all around me shatter. I sob into my dress as rain falls around me.

It's not a heavy rain, but it's just enough to soothe the burning on my face, "Ma'am, are you alright?" A familiar voice calls from across the street. It's Derrick. The rain starts getting harder. I don't respond to the dashing man and keep crying.

"Miss Fleck, is that you?" He moves closer coming across the street. I'm tempted to lift my head but the dizziness stops me. All I can do is open my eyes, "It is you!" Derrick picks me up and carries me into his park.