Phantasma

We arrive in New York on an early Monday morning. Melody had nightmares whenever she slept on the boat. She would shake violently and jolt, also talking in her sleep. It pained me to see her scared and hurting. Whenever I look at her when she is sleeping I always think Melody is Christine.

"Melody, wake up. We have to get ready," I gently shake her awake. Once she is awake and dressed, I give her the mask. The child is in a dark blue dress that is flat with black jacket that covers almost all of her dress. Perfect for the chilly morning.

Melody is silent as we make our way to the next boat so we can get to Coney Island. Mel has been sleeping so much for the past couple days, she is very tired all the time now. On the small boat she stares out the window. When there is a little less than a couple minutes left in the ride, I decide to ask Melody what has been on my mind, "What have your nightmares been about?" If they scare her that much I want to figure out how I can stop them from happening.

"Most of them are you yelling at me," Melody stares out the window like she is ashamed. I understand why me yelling at her would be scary, her father being who he is. Next time I see him I'm going to make him pay for what he's done to this poor child.

"I will never yell at you," I know I just told her a straight up lie, but I'll work on not yelling too much, at least around her that is.

"Thank you...but don't let me control you," She looks at me and it seems like she is staring into my soul. I look out the window and see that we are slowing down, "My last name, I was thinking about it. Fleck. Melody Fleck."

I nod as the boat comes to a stop. I can see my park, Phantasma, from here. The other passengers quickly get out of their seats. I get up and motion for Melody to stay seated.