Apologies

I couldn't move quick enough to save her if I would've known she was there. My pregnant body refused to go any faster.

"Fantine!" Raul yells, running down the stairs two at a time. At the bottom, I see my daughter's body, all mangled and bloody.

Crying fills the house in the matter of seconds.
"Momma!" I hear my baby cry softly but I can do nothing to help. That's the worst pain any mother could feel.

"I'm coming Fantine, I'm coming!" I assure.
Out of breath, I stop halfway down the stairs, "Alicia!" I call for one of our servants. I hear her feet run to the stairs, "Call for a doctor, quickly!" I order. Continuing down the stairs, I have difficulty breathing. Slowly getting a full view of my child, I find that the right side of her face is severely damaged from the fall. Her jaw looks to be broken.

Fantine is such a tough girl, crying out for me with a broken jaw. Her eyes follow me as Raoul picks her up gingerly, careful not to cause her any more pain. Halfway down the stairs, I hurry back up to follow my husband into the kitchen.

Blood is dripping down her cheeks. My baby looks horrified, the only thing I know that will make her relax even the smallest bit is her favorite stuffed animal, "Raoul, go get her horse!" Without arguing, he takes off in a run to get the child's favorite toy.

I stare into Fantine's sterling blue eyes as she's laying on the counter. "You're going to be okay, I promise," I soothe. Quickly, I grab a wet washcloth and gently wipe her face.

After almost twenty minutes, I hear an unfamiliar set of footsteps running to the room. It must be the doctor.

"Madame De'Changy I came as fast as I could. What happ-" He takes one look at Fantine and urgency sparks in his voice, "This is not what I thought, she has to get intensive care immediately!" The man scoops my daughter up in his arms and gestures for me to follow him, but I can't. I'm frozen in shock. Raoul comes down the stairs with the plush horse and sees the doctor. Running to me, he grabs my arms and says something to me. I can't hear what it is though.

"She has to come back, please. I'm frightened!" I beg. Noticing that the doctor has left I push Raul towards the door, "Go!" I yell. He runs after the doctor, leaving me behind.

I stumble back and sit in one of the kitchen chairs. She was listening to us fight, that's why she was standing there in the first place.

"Mommy! Wake up!" Gustave gently wakes me up, "Daddy got a letter!" I get up from my bed and Gustave pulls me all the way toward the kitchen table downstairs. The letter is addressed in very fancy calligraphy.

"Who is it from?" My son asks. I examine the letter even closer.

"I don't know, it doesn't have a return address. Let's open it and find out," I respond, grabbing the envelope and opening it gently.

Dear Monsieur De'Changy,
I am sorry to be informed of your daughter passing. It grieves me deeply to hear. We have received your previous letter and thank you for the gift, although, none of it matters now. In regards to the event you are hosting in memorial of your daughter, we will be attending.
I am very sorry for your loss.
Your Dear Friend,
Madame Carlotta Giudicelli

"Oh lord," I breathe, "Well that's not what I expected," I put the letter back on the table.
"Is it just stuff from Dad's work?" Gustave asks. I nod, not wanting to explain it in the moment. I check the time, it's eight o'clock. So, still pretty early in the morning.

"I'll go get dressed so I can make you breakfast. What would you like to eat?" I ask, Fantine usually makes him pancakes, but since Fantine......died, he won't even look at them.

"Can I have eggs and bacon?" Gustave asks. I nod once more before heading up to my room. A grab one of my black dresses and a hat just in case we go outside. I then go back downstairs to the kitchen to make Gustave's breakfast. My son also went to get dressed, so I put his food on the table, along with a glass of orange juice. Moments later he comes down and sits where I put his eggs. Washing my hands, I hear Raoul come in the room.

"You have a letter on the table. I've read it already," In our family, we read each other's mail. It started by Raoul reading mine, so I thought it was only fitting to return the favor. "It's from Carlotta. She's coming to the concert next month.."