Ch. 02: The Receiver

"A Magnificent Love", Ch. 02: The Receiver, December 25, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(an original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace; All rights reserved) [(1) story logo, top right]

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with my dream cast of: Richard Armitage for Richard Thorne, Sigourney Weaver for Richard's mother Elise Thorne, Jennifer Jason Leigh for Edith Thorne Burke, Haley Atwell for Christina Gilcrist, James Slattery for Frederick Burke, Harrison Ford for Percy Gilcrist, Franco Nero for Count Victor Renaldi, and others]

Author's Mature Content Note: "A Magnificent Love" is story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships. Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

Author's recap from the previous chapter: Billionaire medical equipment/supplies entrepreneur Richard Thorne determinedly headed to his favorite jewelry store, Barnette Chicago on Dec. 23rd, to purchase his mother Elise Thorne a combined birthday and Christmas Gift from he and his sister's family. And the beautiful Sales Associate who assisted him, Christina Gilcrist intrigued him with her beauty and her not fawning over his wealth. They share an acquaintance in her cousin Susan Gilcrist for whom Christina served as Maid of Honor where Richard initially noticed. her. And though Richard not turns his attention to their family celebration gathering for their mothter at his sister's this night, Richard will find that he will not be able to get another lady out of his mind.

"A Magnificent Love", Ch. 2: The Receiver

Ushered into his sister Edith Thorne Burke's Chicago penthouse apartment foyer by her butler at his precisely punctual 6pm Tuesday evening, December 23rd, Richard Thorne[(2) right]--betraying a small smile for he knows the exuberant greeting that awaits him--he is beset by his nephews and niece, Will, Daniel, and Elisa. His niece is named for his and his sister Edie's mother Elise, but with a twist to avoid confusion.

Niece and Nephews: "Uncle Richard!!!" They swarm him.

Richard: "Will, Daniel, Elisa! It is good to see you." He smiles broadly as they guide him into the living room. "Edie, Dear."

Richard's sister Edie [(3) right] extends her hand to her brother from her place sitting on the couch as he comes to her side and he kisses her cheek. Though suffering from chronic painful arthritis that fatigues her and limits her mobility, Edie can navigate their large single level penthouse suite in short bursts. But she conserves her energy when she knows that she has a long evening ahead of her--as they do tonight celebrating their mother's birthday. And Richard is aware of Edie needing to conserve her energy--him thinking that she looks a little more tired tonight--probably due to the holidays and preparing for tonight. But Edie never complains about her chronic arthritis illness, she just soldiers on--then rests when she needs to.

Edie: "Richard, you're late." Edie pouts at her baby brother. For at her 51 years to his 43 years, neither of them is a baby anymore.

Frederick: Shaking his brother-in-law Richard's hand and slapping him on the back, Frederick smiles. "Now Edith Dear, Richard is only 1 minute late. Cut him some slack. Ha ha ha!"

Then Frederick [(4) right] leans down and lovingly kisses his wife Edith on her cheek. Edith smiles up at her distinguished looking husband adoringly as they continue to hold hands. Theirs is a love match still, these twenty years later. And his addressing her as Edith--her given name--is his pet name for her since everyone else calls her Edie. The 52 year old Frederick is prematurely gray and shows the weathered signs of aging due to his living an outdoorsy life of cross country skiing and sailing as befits his wealthy lifestyle. However he is a warm and cordial family man full of a zest for life. His boundless energy quite compensates for his beloved wife Edie's lack of it. And they make a great pair as a loving couple and as loving parents.