Chapter Seventeen

The day after the proposal, Ivy decided to take the day off. She didn't want to see the look on her colleagues' faces when the announcement of her proposal and the merger between her father's company and Ethan's was reported.

Instead, she'd bustled around her small apartment cleaning and reading. Ignoring the buzzing of her phone and mobile. In the end she'd disconnected her house phone when they continued to ring. She'd already called her friends, and she didn't want to talk to anyone else.

By the time Tuesday morning rolled around, she knew she couldn't just sit and hide in her apartment anymore. She'd spoken to Ethan the day before and he'd told her the restructuring of her father's company had already begun. Her staff would need her now more than ever, even if it was just to reassure them they still had a job. Though Ivy wasn't sure she would be capable of keeping that promise.

Rolling over, she forced herself to climb out of bed, switching on the old TV set before heading to the kitchen. She poured herself a bowl of cereal before her eyes focused on the day's news stories.

Instantly the spoon, she was lifting to her mouth, froze as she caught sight of pictures of her and Ethan. The report was speaking about the merger but seemed much more interested in their relationship.

As the camera panned backwards, her heart stopped, and she raced to the window, tearing the curtains open in her hurry to determine what she already knew.

The space outside the building was littered with news reporters and vans, all broadcasting live.

She slammed the curtains back into place and retreated a few steps as she thought about her options.

There was no way she could miss another day off work. Her engagement to Ethan wasn't going to stop her from doing her job but that left the question about how she would get to work without the reporters seeing her.

Switching off the TV, she stared around her apartment, looking for inspiration, when her eyes fell on her half full laundry basket.

There was an old exit from the building, past the laundry room. Hardly anyone ever used it because it was where they stored the large bin containers before pick up. The smell was enough to keep people away. Then all she had to do was carefully walk to her car and head to the hotel.

She picked up Ethan's sweatshirt, which he'd leant her the night he proposed and held it to her chest. Maybe it could work if she disguised herself a bit.

Walking into her room, she pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and Ethan's sweatshirt. An old ratty baseball cap, which she didn't remember buying, finished the look. She may have looked like a moody teenager, but at least she didn't look like herself.

She packed a more appropriate work outfit in a rucksack and made herself a quick lunch.

Shuffling sounded outside her door and made her pause. Her neighbours were usually getting their kids to school right about now, but dread still settled in her stomach. Sharp knocking had her full attention, her lunchbox now forgotten on the kitchen table.

Perhaps if she'd been in the right state of mind, she would have checked the peephole in the door, but her hand was already moving towards the handle. She cracked open the door and was bombarded with flashes and loud voices.

Numerous reports and photographers enclosed on her, jostling with each other as they crowded for her attention. It only took her mind a few seconds to realise she'd made a terrible mistake.

Acting quickly, she pushed the door shut and secured the lock, before adding the chain for good measure. The reporters continued to bang and shout, but she just stepped away and grabbed the phone on the wall. She quickly dialed for reception but got no response.