Chapter Three

Ethan arrived at the charity gala fashionably late. Although it had more to do with staying late at work than wanting to make a grand entrance.

He'd been surprised when he'd found out the event's location. Surely it would have been better to showcase one of their more established hotels? It seemed like bad business to him.

But his doubts dissipated as he walked through the main doors. An orchestra serenaded the guests as they sat, matching the period hall so well he felt like he'd stumbled back in time.

It didn't feel like Mr Thorn's style, but he couldn't believe his daughter was able to pull this event off. Thorn must have hired someone to do it. That was the only explanation. Ethan rarely gave credit, but whoever planned this event was a genius and he was going to find out who.

The whole reason for coming to this event was to seek out his future wife. And he had to admit he was impressed with the woman he found. Dressed in an optical illusion style outfit, Ivy looked stunning. It differed greatly from what everyone else was wearing, and yet very few seemed surprised at this daring outfit. Maybe it was her style, he wondered.

He appreciated the deep navy that panelled the front and back and the white side panels that created the illusion of a very narrow waist. Although, he could tell the illusion wasn't necessary.

The woman was a tiny thing. She wouldn't even come up to his shoulders if she was standing next to him.

She maneuvered the room efficiently, seeming to put her guests at ease, embracing some like old friends, whilst introducing the unfamiliar faces with a charm that many women seemed to have lost.

One thing he was certain of was that she was good with people. He watched her as she enthralled her table with some story. It wasn't hard to see which table was having the most fun.

He looked towards the table that held her father and was not surprised to see it was subdued in mood. Strange how the daughter was such a people person whilst the father held himself aloft from most. He turned his attention back to Miss Thorn, not surprised to see her and her table still involved in animated conversation.

"She is something, isn't she?" The elderly man, next to Ethan suddenly perked up.

Ethan knew who he was on about immediately, but said nothing.

"My wife and I adore her. We come to this event every year, but the last two years have been the most amazing experience. Ever since the charity partnered with Thorn Enterprises. Shame really, when you hear what the news is saying." The man finished by waving his glass in the vague direction of Miss Thorn.

A woman in her forties, who sat on the other side of Ethan, sighed.

"Hmmm she could have dressed a little more professionally if you ask me." She smiled rather too warmly at Ethan, realising who he was, and flicked her hair to show off her low cut dress.

"Well, I would love to know who put on all of this." A young man, sat opposite Ethan, said in awe as he glanced around the room. "It feels otherworldly. It is a wonderful concept and a brilliant marketing strategy." His sharp eyes returned to the table.

"Don't you know? Ivy Thorn has planned almost every detail of this event herself." The woman directed this statement at the young man with a superior look on her face before returning her attention back to Ethan and placing a hand gently on his arm.

"You mean Ivy Thorn has organised this?" Ethan tried to make his tone more enquiring rather than accusatory. He was starting to get slightly edgy. Mr Thorn had portrayed his daughter as a hindrance in his company.