This One's for You - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“What about this one?”

“No.” I yawned.

“This one?”

“For the last time, Willow, no!"

I collapsed onto Willow’s bed, staring into the pit of despair that was her closet.  Actually, it probably qualified as more of a pit of pink than of despair, but it caused me great anguish none the less.  I stuck my tongue out at Willow defiantly before stuffing another Oreo into my mouth.

“Stop that.  I don’t appreciate this constant attitude, missy.  You’re going and that’s final.  Might as well at least pretend to be happy about it,” Willow huffed.

“Alright, mom,” I sneered. “But just because I’m going to this stupid thing doesn’t give you permission to turn me into your Barbie doll.”

Willow flipped her platinum blond hair before turning back to her closet.  She pulled out yet another barely there jean skirt and tube top.  I couldn’t help but laugh.

“All that outfit needs is some ripped fishnets and it’d be perfect for a hooker!”

Willow’s eyes narrowed.  “Oh, you’re so funny.”

Tears seeped from my eyes as I keeled over, still laughing, and toppled off the bed.  I kept rolling, ending my graceful fall by painfully introducing my forehead to Willow’s bedside table.

“That’s karma, babe.  Don’t insult my clothes again or risk the wrath of your apparent clumsiness.” she said, disguising her smirk with a dramatic roll of her eyes. 

I flipped myself onto my stomach and got to my feet, dusting off my black skinny jeans. 

“Karma has no effect on me; I’m karma proof.  This,” I said, rubbing my forehead, “is all skill.”

Willow burst out laughing. 

“Sometimes I really don’t know what to do with you, Vanessa Daniels.”

“I’m going to take that as a compliment,” I replied, gathering Willow’s comforter and wrapping it around my chest.  The warmth always soothed me, like strong arms protecting me, the fringe tickling my neck.  Leaning back, I let myself fall into the mountain of pillows scattered on the bed.  It was like diving into a sea of fluff gently rolling along my back.

“Why is your bed so amazing?” I asked dreamily.

“One word: waterbed.” Willow said, wrenching another dress off its hanger.  “Now, stop avoiding the subject and pick an outfit.”

“I don’t want your clothes,” I groaned, “I’m perfectly fine with my own, thank you.”

“Oh, yeah?  And you think you’re going to catch Caden’s eye in old jeans and an oversized tee shirt?  I don’t think so.”

I rose from the bed. “Excuse me?”

She sighed, eyeing me judgingly. “You’re a sad case, Vanessa, a very sad case.”

I gawked at her, unsure how to respond.  The words finally made their way to my lips, falling out in a jumbled mess.

“You’re kidding me, right?  Are you trying to talk me out of this?”

“Hell no, I’m just trying to make you look, you know, presentable.”

“Presentable?” I said, my voice raising. “Presentable?  What do you think I am now?  A slob?”