This One's for You

Prologue

I put the last bag in the trunk of the dirty white van and slammed it shut, the smell of guitars and boy blanketing my face.  A few more hours and I would never smell this familiar scent again.  Tears clouded my eyes, but I blinked them away. 

“You all set?” I asked, praying he’d be able to find another reason not to be. 

“Um…I guess so, and we’ve got to get going.  The gigs a few hours away and we’re going to be cutting it close on time.  We wouldn’t want to be late to our first concert, even if we’re just the opening act.”  Caden winked at me, but the sadness still shown behind his eyes. 

“Oh, okay.  Well,” I started, examining the gravel beneath my toes with faked interest.  Tell him now.  You’ll never have another chance. Trying to shake the thoughts from my mind, I weakly smiled up at him, unable to complete my sentence.  I wanted him to be happy; after all, that’s what best friends are for.

“Come on, Ness, you know we’ll see each other again, no worries.” He said, grabbing my arms and pulling me into his embrace.  I took a deep breath, taking in his scent, memorizing every detail.  I knew better than he did, we’d never talk again.  This was our last goodbye, our last embrace.  His band, Torment, was watching their first album shoot up the charts, touring with one of the most famous bands in the world, and planning their own headlining tour.  To add more sprinkles to the cake, he was their lead singer and a mean guitarist for goodness sakes!  There were better things out there waiting for him, things more important than remembering a little girl from Phillips, Maine.

This was it for Caden and Vanessa; best friends since he told me in preschool that my Spiderman lunchbox was, and I quote, “Super spiffy, dude!” only to be torn apart the summer before my freshman year of high school, his sophomore.  I would start Henson Maine High without my numero de un amigo, my meilleur ami, my partner in crime, my other half.  It was like the devil was trying to pull one over on me. 

“Promise you’ll call?” I asked.

“Every waking minute.  So much, actually, you’ll get so tired of me you’ll change your number.  Now, you promise me something.”

I rolled my eyes, expecting something stupid like, “make sure you scream the loudest at my concerts” or “do your homework.”

“Don’t forget me,” he whispered, pressing his lips to my forehead.

“How the hell do you think I could forget you, you big dummy.” I grunted, trying to ease the seriousness in the air.

Caden laughed, his one dimple showing itself on his tan skin.  He ruffled my brown locks. 

“You should watch your language, Nessie, or people are going to think your badass.”

“People already think I’m badass because of you, Mr. Rocker Dude.  Besides, hell is not a bad word.” 

“Whatever you say, Ness, whatever you say.”

He ran his thin, guitarist hand through his curly hair, the calluses on the tips of his fingers shining in the sun.  His hair curled crazily at the ends, threatening to brush his shoulders.

“I’m going to miss this bickering, Cad,” I said, feeling the threat of tears once again.  “And, of course, seeing your ugly face every day.”  I added with a smirk.

Caden stuck his tongue out at me.  “And I’ll miss you calling me Cad, even though you know I hate it.”

I snorted.  “Would you rather I call you En?  ‘Cause, to me, that just sounds stupid, but hey, it’s your choice.”