This One's for You - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The wind bit at my nose as I found myself smiling up at Caden, the honesty of his words bright in his eyes.  The intensity of his gaze stirred a fear within me.  I averted my eyes from his, focusing on the shadow figures behind the curtains of my house.  Recognizing my parents attempt to spy, I took a deep breath and plunged into the unknown. 

“Come on, let’s get this over with.  Grab the pizzas,” I growled, my mood dampened.  There was no telling how my parents were going to react to this particular boy I was bringing home.  All hell could break lose at a moment’s notice. 

I heard the car door swing open and shut, the crinkling of grocery bags against Caden’s thigh reaching my ears.  Nerves flooded my body, filling me with unease.  Suddenly, his hand rested on my tense shoulder, instinctively calming me.  I forced a flinch, causing his hand to jerk away. 

“Chill, Nessie,” Caden whispered, his voice tainted with hurt, “I don’t bite.  At least,” he added with a smirk, “not without being prompted.”

“There’s no hope for you, is there?” I muttered under my breath.

Before he could muster up a sarcastic remark, the screen door of my house flung open, revealing my parents.

“Vanessa, is that you?  Did you get dinner?”  

“Yeah, mom,” I shouted, clearing my throat, “and someone’s with me.  Someone we haven’t seen in awhile.”

“Oh dear, god, please not that Nathan boy.  I swear, if I see him again I’ll–”

“No, no!  It’s not him.” I interrupted my dad, my face reddening.  Caden’s lips brushed against my hair, his breathing slightly anxious. 

“Nathan?  Who’s Nathan?” 

“None of your business, superstar,” I snapped, speeding toward my parents.  Caden followed close behind. 

As Caden and I came into the view of the porch light, my mom’s eyes narrowed.  The wrinkles on her forehead grew more apparent.  A thin scowl hid behind her surprise, ready to emerge at any moment.  I swallowed. 

“Caden, we weren’t expecting to see you,” my dad said, looking down at Caden distrustfully. 

“Ever,” my mom added under her breath, eying me questioningly.  I shrugged.  Not too long ago, I wasn’t expecting to see Caden again either.  Life has a funny way of changing just to entertain itself.  Caden shuffled his feet before extending his hand. 

“It’s been way too long, Mr. and Mrs. Daniels.” Caden smiled warmly.  My father shock his hand, amused.  I stood in awe and confusion, waiting for something dramatic to occur.  Caden lifted the grocery bags, the plastic reflecting in the porch light.

“I hope you don’t mind, but we brought pizzas!”

~~~~~ 

“There is no way I will ever understand how you tick,” I groaned, picking at the crust of my pizza.  Caden smirked, tomato sauce dripping onto his chin. 

“What can I say?  I have charm, charisma,” he took another bite of his pizza and mumbled with his mouth full, “it’s my job.”

“Whatever,” I said, my eyes distracted by his tomato sauce goatee, “that’s only supposed to work on obsessive fans, not my poor parents.” 

The remnants of the pizzas lay scattered across my roughly stained wooden table.  My parents sat in the adjacent room, their eyes darting between the television and Caden and me.  Their apprehensive attitudes still hovered, but Caden seemed to have made a good enough impression to be allowed in the house.  I caught one of my mom’s glares, a silent message oozing with annoyance.  My eyes darted away, once again focusing on the sauce on Caden’s face as he spoke.