Epilogue + New Cover + New Book

Afaaf's POV

It felt like Imran hadn't changed a bit. Yet there was so much about him that was new.

I bit my lip, restraining that naughty giggle from reaching Imran's ears. He was in the bathroom changing into his white Shalwar and Kameez. I didn't know what had gotten into me when I had picked up the laptop to go through our pictures which we took on our honeymoon. It was as if I had forgotten about them altogether. I couldn't let that happen so soon. Also, I needed to look at something else other than dirty diapers and dirty laundry.

I was, now, staring down at the selfie we took on our first day of arrival at the Marrakech hotel. The background showed the spacious bedroom with antique furniture. Imran was trying to peck my cheek when he took this photo simultaneously. I was attempting to pout. It was strange to see myself wearing so much makeup during those early days of our marriage. Imran looked the same; with that goofy smile, his infamous wink and those dark eyes. The eyes that had mesmerised me on that honeymoon. When his soul had marked its territory on mine. I giggled again and a droplet fell on my cheek. Warmth enveloped my heart as it filled up with sweetness. The sweetness of his love. Suddenly, I felt a deep urge to go back in time, in that particular moment.

"Afaaf", Imran called, his voice pulling me back to the present, "Pass me my towel. I forgot it outside"

I palmed my forehead and laughed. That sweetness was getting rare. I gave one glance at Khalid who slept quietly in his baby cot surrounded by his tiny stuffed toys. I shutdown the laptop as I got up to get him his towel. I checked the time on the wall clock. It was getting close to Jum'ah time.

"Imran, you've got five minutes left to reach the masjid on time", I reminded him handing him the towel.

Imran was out in a minute, his hair still spiky and dripping as he reached for the hair dryer on the dressing table. I stared at his back and then at sleepy Khalid, wondering how exciting that day might be when Imran would take him along to pray his first Jum'ah, how he would teach him to pray behind the Imam, how he will guide him with his first prayer.

After drying his hair, he turned around to grab his cap. "What should baba get for Khalid on the way back?"

"Will you ever ask what Khalid's mother would want?", I questioned frowning animatedly.

"Ji Mama Khalid, tell me what you'd like and I'll keep it in your hands", Imran replied, gushingly.

I laughed, "Nothing. I was just testing you."

Imran shook his head, smiling. "The mother is ten times the kid", he said to himself as he turned to leave. He earned a frown from me for that.

"Acha listen", he turned back, "I'm going to inform my friends at the masjid about Khalid's aqiqah. I'll get caught up with them at the end of salah so I might be a bit late. Just text me if you need something. Allah Hafiz"

I nodded and waved at him as he left in a hurry shoving his car keys in the pocket of his kameez. The mention of Khalid's aqiqah reminded me of the preparations I had planned to complete today. We had set a date three days from now and Imran wanted to do it at his parents' place since we needed a larger space to accommodate the guests. I wanted to decorate the place and needed to order a few decorative items. I also needed to preorder a cake and have it decorated properly. I got up hoping I could place the orders before Khalid gets up and demands attention.

****

The day had finally come where the Khan's residence would be filled with guests to join us in the happiness of our first child's aqiqah. I had arrived at my in laws' early to get the preparations done and I was finally getting ready to welcome the guests. I stood in Mariam's room before her huge dresser examining myself in the mirror as I set my dupatta. I wore a white embroidered kameez and a multi coloured palazzo. I wore black Pakistani khussas to contrast. It was after a long time I had gotten so dolled up. I felt slightly uncomfortable with the heaviness of all that I was wearing even though I held back from wearing heavy jewelry. It just wasn't possible to manage this stuff while carrying Khalid in my arms.