Chapter 2: Coming Close/Moving Away

2 3 days? Alone with Imran? I could never let that happen knowing the consequences. I didn't know where this marriage was headed so I wasn't ready to make the huge step. I was afraid of it ending as badly as mom's and Ayesha's. Afraid? Who am I kidding? I knew it was going to end up on a bad note! My mentality just wasn't compatible to the men of this society.

On Imran's repeated requests I stayed here for this one last night else I was all packed and ready to leave for his place. More the number of people, more the chance to avoid being alone with him.

I replied to all my friends and my sister who had left me a lot of texts. Ayesha, being her curious-self, left around 20 messages. She wanted the slightest bit of detail about each and everything starting from when the car drove away last night to waking up today. Ayesha had also sent me a few pictures from yesterday night. Ali was looking so cute. Being 6 years old couldn't take even slightest of his cuteness away.

"Look! How cute?!", I cheered showing Imran one of Ali's pictures in which he posed like a dude.

"Ma Sha Allah", Imran smiled.

"Ma Sha Allah", I mummered going through many other pictures.

While I was busy with my phone, Imran had changed into a black shirt and jeans and left the room. I called mom and faked my exitedness about my newly wedded life. I knew that's all she needed for the day. Lying to mom was difficult because I knew she understood me more than I understand myself, but it was for the sake of her good. I knew Allah would forgive me for doing this.

Through mom I got to speak to Ayesha and Ali who were equally excited to talk to me.

Then I had to call my work place to know if I had any chance to get more than a three day leave from school. I was a Biology teacher at Crimsons High School. Every free day counted. I needed to adjust into the new family as I sucked at mingling in with strangers which you might've already figured out. They couldn't give me anymore days off as the exams were going to be up within a matter of three weeks.

"Thank you anyways Mrs. Harold, Bye", I said cancelling the call. Just as I kept down the phone, Imran entered.

"Where were you?", I asked.

"Oh! Just getting my beautiful bride a beautiful present", he closed the door stepping in.

He came closer and stood before me. He then dig his hand in the pocket of his coat and held out a ring box. He then sat on one of his knees and held it open before me. I stood there numb, not a word escaping my lips. No one has ever offered me a gift this way. A man, my husband, was before me, sitting on one knee holding out a shiny diamond ring and I had no idea what to do except to stare at his face.

"Will you go on a date with me tonight?", as the words escaped his lips, he had my heart racing. A smile spread on his face as he waited for the obvious reply.

"Erm... I-I... I guess.. Yeah... Yes", finally!

He got up and stood straight, taking the ring out of the box and sliding it on my ring finger. I stared at the beauty of the ring. It had a big square diamond with similar smaller ones all along the circle.