Chapter 31: Never let me go

Imran's POV

Desperation. I had never understood what this term really meant until I couldn't wait anymore to know who was behind those pictures in my laptop. After suhoor I couldn't sleep. My mind was too focused on guessing who's ID number was this. That day I prayed Fajr at the masjid after a long time and I remained there for quite some time. The heaviness in my chest was slowly going away and bringing me peace. I realized I needed to rest before work so I went home and got 3 hours long sleep.

Finally it was time to leave for work and I could feel my insides shaking as I came closer to acknowledging the truth.

I had memorized the ID number as result of staring at the number for too long.

11605. Who could you be? Who ever you are, you're not going to hide for too long.

As soon as I entered the office I looked around searching for the blond hair and a pair of blue eyes hiding behind frameless glasses-Mark. He was the one I needed now. He could get me all the information I needed. But disappointingly he was no where to be seen today. Maybe he had taken a day off or he would come later for half time. I would go there myself and ask for the name relating this ID number only if that weren't a suspicious thing to do especially when I didn't even work there.

I walked past his cubicle and examined his empty desk. Then I went over to Jacob who sat in the neighboring cubicle typing away on his PC.

"Good morning, Jake. Any idea where's Mark today?", I asked.

"Nope", he said popping the 'p' and shaking his head. He was clueless.

I had to wait then and hope he would come around today, anytime before Asr. I had to hold on with just a little bit more patient although I had very little of it left in me.

My eyes kept wandering over the black wall clock as seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into hours but there was no sign of Mark. I lost focus multiple times to the extent that I had to yell in my head "must focus". The frustration and impatience were trying to get on my nerves.

I anxiously looked at my phone which laid still on the desk. If Mark wasn't coming to work today then I had to call him to somehow find out the name behind this number. I put back the ring on my ring finger which I'd been fiddling with and reached for my phone, immediately unlocking the screen.

Just then I sensed some motion at the front doors. Ah! Mark was finally here. Holding a bunch of paper work in his hand he walked swiftly from right before my cubicle and took a left entering the main office. The main office was shared by Mr. Dalton and Mr. Peter for important meetings. It looked like he was late as he examined his wrist watch before turning the knob and walking into the room.

I waited for him for what felt like hours to step out of that office. When he finally did, I got up from my chair and walked towards him.

"Hey man! How's it going?", we shook hands.

"Hey Imran", he smiled, "Not so well", he said pursing his lips, "I wanted to apply for month long leave since I planned on visiting my fiancé in California but Mr. Dalton expects me to prepare two paper works within one week if I want to get his approval"

"Oh. Mr Dalton seems to expect a lot from you. I hope all goes well"

"Yeah", he shrugged his shoulders and was about to walk away when I called him back.

"Uh, I need a favor from you"

"Sure. Anything"

"Uh... I need to you to tell me the name of one employee on level 2. His ID number is 11605"