||PROLOGUE||

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Class went on as normal, boring and simple. That was the Friday curse, though. I was expecting the rest of the day to follow suit, but I was wrong.

After the lecture had stopped and the lunch bell rang, I grouped with my friends. One of them was clearly daydreaming instead of paying attention, since she had an idea in mind.

"Hey, we're all single," Chiyo began, watching with a mischievous grin as I shared a suspicious glance with Eiko. "So I was thinking, what if we weren't?"

"Yeah... what if we weren't..." Eiko tested the waters, egging Chiyo on to continue.

Chiyo merely scoffed, "Well, for starters we'd have boyfriends."

"That would be the difference between single and taken," I said.

"I'm trying to make a bet with you guys." Chiyo rose a brow as she finally took a seat at the desk in front of mine. Eiko and I mimicked her, finding our own chairs to sit in as we listened to her proposal.

"Continue." My interest was rising with each second, I could only imagine what the imaginative Chiyo was dreaming up.

Chiyo grinned, "Okay, so it'll go like this. Ten dollars each. Ten school days. We each have our own target. Whoever wins the guy in that timeframe gets the money."

"All of the money?" Eiko asked, I could see the uneasiness in her eyes. "I'm not sure thirty dollars is worth messing with someone's feelings."

"I'm in," I matched the smile on Chiyo's face. This sounded worthwhile, even fun. "But I have a few questions first."

"Okay, shoot," Chiyo said.

"Do we get to pick our own targets?" I asked.

She shrugged, "Well, it would only be fair."

"You said ten school days, so could I talk to him on the weekend?" I asked another.

"Yeah," Chiyo answered. "I only said ten school days because ten days and ten bucks had a nice ring to it. But I say we pick the targets today, fine tune the rules over the weekend, and then let the games begin on Monday."

"I never agreed to this," Eiko finally chimed in again. "I don't want to mess with someone like that."

"Just pick someone you have a crush on," Chiyo recommended.