16. Katsu's Discoveries

Back at Ichiraku’s while Miyuki and Kakashi were enjoying their lunch, “Why’d you invite me to eat lunch with you anyway?” She asked, scooping her noodles up with her chopsticks. “Because I like… Well, it’s just nice avoiding paperwork with some company, I guess.” He hesitantly explained. “Well, don’t get to use to it. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow morning.” She said before eating. 

He almost knocked his empty bowl off the counter. He managed to catch it just in time, “What? So soon? Why won’t you stay?” he asked, not realising how desperate it would sound. She gave him a suspiciously raised eyebrow, “Well, last I checked, I still have a job that involves protecting the Hidden Mist Village. I can’t do that lounging around here all day. Even if most of my missions involve following around the Mizukage...” She said more to herself than to him. He put his bowl down, “Yeah, but-” she cut him off, “Kakashi, what has gotten into you? It’s starting to sound like you actually want to have me around.” She half-joked. “Well…” He trailed off, averting his gaze. “Not like you’ll be free every lunch to hang out with little old me. You’re the Hokage, remember?” His face sunk, ‘She’s right… What’s the point?’ he thought. 

Miyuki noticed his drop in mood, “Hey… Are you okay?” she asked in concern, gently grabbing his hand on the counter. He slowly looked up at her kind smile, “I-”

“Miyuki! There you are, I’ve been tracking you down forever!” Katsu exclaimed as he appeared behind them. “You have? I thought you’re busy at the Science facility, working.” She said, leaving Kakashi’s arm. He mentally sighed at the emptiness it left behind. “I was. I mean, I am. Oh, good morning Lord Kakashi.” Katsu said, noticing him. Miyuki frowned, “It’s afternoon, Katsu. And what’s with all the papers?” she asked, examining the sheets he held. “My findings on Toneri Otsutski and our Clan history.” Katsu pointed out. They tilted their heads, “Eh?” they asked in confusion. Katsu sighed and walked up to the counter in between their seats, placing the pages down. “Look. Each page has a picture of the patterns in our eyes when we activate the Keihatsugan.” He said, laying three of the pages out in front of them. “Okay… Then what?” Miyuki curiously inquired. “Now look what happens when I put them together.”  He said, placing them on top of each other to create a single symbol. 

Kakashi frowned, “It looks so familiar.” Katsu gave a smug nod, and slammed a page over the combined three pages, “That’s because it’s almost an exact replica of this symbol. The Otsutski Clan symbol for the Main Family. The Shinobi of the Moon’s Head Clan.”

“Wait… What!?” Miyuki shrieked. “That’s not all.” Katsu excitedly said, placing document findings on top of the previous information. “What is all this?” Kakashi asked.

“Orochimaru’s research investigation on our biology. Our anatomy differs from the Shinobi of earth.” He answered. “Did you say of Earth?” she asked, still struggling to process it all. “Look. We’re different down to the Science! Regular Shinobi don’t have our attractive looks, paler skin, stamina, chakra reserves, senses, our advance Jutsu skillset from a young age, flexibility, durability, power-” She stopped him, “Okay, okay. You’re starting to make us sound like some sort of material here. Katsu, what is going on? I don’t even have all those qualities. And neither do you or Ryuu.” She explained. “Ah. That’s because we’re not pure Otsutski’s like our dad was. Mum was half Yuki, remember?” he pointed out. “Our dad was not an Otsutski. Their kind tried to take over the whole world!” she argued. “But the Sage of Six Paths bettered it. So, did his brother, Haruma Otsutski, the Sage of Six Paths to the Shinobi of the moon. Don’t you remember what dad looked like? Pale as snow, unnaturally bright blue eyes. I’m telling you Miyuki, he’s a descendent from the moon.” Katsu countered. Her eyebrow twitched with unease. 

“Miyuki calm down. Let’s hear what he has to say.” Kakashi said. “Thank you, Lord Kakashi. My final point which backs my theory is our chakra manipulation abilities. You have the ability to restore your reserves using the chakra you manipulate and absorb from water. That is not normal and is a result of Senjutsu.” She raised an eyebrow, “Senjutsu?” Katsu nodded. 

“It means you absorb natural energy and store it as chakra that you can use for later.” Kakashi explained to her. “You’re agreeing with him now?” she suspiciously inquired. “Look, sis. I know it’s a bit difficult to accept, but just look at me. My Ninjutsu Orbs are exactly the same Jutsu Toneri uses. Our Clan descended from the moon and adapted to our new environment on earth. That’s what mum and dad were going to tell us when we turn 21. That’s the secret to our Clan’s origin. The Keihatsugan isn’t a dojutsu. It taps into the natural energies we absorb and allows us to convert it into chakra and jutsus at will. It's how we were able to live on in that ice. Our bodies converted the natural energy we had been absorbing all our lives and turned it into chakra to sustain us in the form of Hyper sleep. It’s Senjutsu. Our Clan were Sages from the moon!” he excitedly declared. 

“I can’t deal with this anymore.” she stated, getting up from her chair and walking to the exit. “Miyuki, wait!” Katsu called. She halted at the exit, “You’ve always known we were different. That we’re special.” Katsu told her. She didn’t turn to face him, “That’s what worries me.” She said, and with that, walked out. 

Katsu sighed, “Kakashi, won’t you talk to her?” He was taken aback, “What? Why me?” he frowned in concern. “Because you’re the only one she listens to.” His face dropped, “I doubt that.” He frankly retorted. “It’s true. Miyuki might not be our Captain anymore, but she’s still the leader of me and my twin brother. If I go, she’ll just order me to back off.” He pouted out with folded arms. Kakashi sighed, “I guess I could give it a try.”

She walked about the streets of the Village trying to process all that Katsu had explained. ‘It couldn’t be... Could it?’ she wondered. 

Just then, a voice called out to her and she turned to see Kakashi jogging up. “Kakashi?” she wondered aloud. “Yo.” He greeted with a small wave. She folded her arms in suspicion, “Did Katsu send you over to convince me?” she asked with a suspiciously raised eyebrow. Kakashi shrugged, “Something like that.” She threw her hands in the air and spun on her heel to stomp off. “But I won’t. Not until we have more facts.” He called back. She stopped and slowly turned over her shoulder, “Then why did you follow me?” He shrugged again, “We’re still on lunch.” She was taken aback, blinking in confusion for a moment. Then she giggled to herself, “Yeah, I guess we are.” She replied. “Want to walk me to the office? We can take the longer route.” He suggested, pointing back. 

Miyuki gave a closed-eyes smile and a sharp nod, “I’d love to.”