Chapter Twenty: Theo

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

During warm-up, Hayden scraped his leg. It wasn't anything major for Coach to bench him,  but it was something. It was a foreshadowing of how the rest of this day was going to unfold. Tatum was feeling a bit feverish, but he was still going to play. It was like the entire team got infected with something the moment we came on the field. It was a bit worrisome, but I couldn't think negatively. We had a game to win. So, I helped Tatum lift the spirits of the team with our chant after Coach ran down our plays.

Everything was good. The first half of the game was perfect. We were leading. Hayden was hanging in strong. Tatum seemed to be pushing through his sickness. Our defense was strong, especially after those training sessions with Rylee's brother. Things were looking good for Devenport. During halftime, Rylee came up to me. Usually, Coach doesn't let others interfere with our game, but he understands the effect Rylee has on me. He gives her a minute to talk to me.

"Looking good, O," Rylee compliments her pom-poms are in her hands. I smile and peck her cheeks in gratitude. I try not to hug her because I'm sweaty, and I don't want to ruin her uniform. Well, not when she still had a performance to do.

"Ry, let's go!" Mikah shouts on cue. Rylee smiles at me before running towards Mikah. I return to Coach and listen to his new plan for tackling the last half of the game. Hayden pats me on the back in encouragement because I'm going to have to push myself to pull off the play. I'm high on my favorite drug, Rylee, so I feel invincible. As I said, Devenport was looking good for securing another win.

As we returned to the field after half time, I locked eyes with the one person I never expected to see. I chuckle in disbelief. No, I laughed incredulously. There was no way. As if the universe wanted to fuck with my mind, Hayden freezes next to me to confirm everything.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me!" I say in disbelief.

Hayden frowns, "Out of all the mother fuckers in the world to see right now!" Seeing both Hayden and I brings a smirk to his face. He puts on his helmet and proceeds to his teammates.

"Don't even trip, O. This is your arena. Let's do what we do best." Hayden pats me on the shoulder, and I nod in agreement. He was right. This was my arena. I put on my helmet and jog on the field. I didn't let his presence get to me. Why would I? I had everything I wanted now. So, I kept my head in the game, and I ran the plays flawlessly. We stayed in the lead, but Trevdale still had the opportunity to take the game from us.

As the last few seconds of the third quarter ran down, I'm setting off to throw the ball to Tay, but I'm tackled hard. The hit takes the wind out of me. My body hits the grass hard, and I can feel the aches forming in my body.

"Gibbs tackles Bradshaw. What an excellent tackle from Trevdale's Defensive End!" The announcer roars throughout the field. Gibbs? The sound of his name triggers me. No wonder that tackle hurts more than it should. It came from that egotistical prick. Hayden helps me up. The Trevdale player takes off his helmet, and he is wearing that annoying smirk he donned three years ago.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Hayden and Theo. I see you two losers still hangout." Both Hayden and I huff slightly at him. He was still a lowlife. Three years did nothing for him.

"Nice seeing you too, Preston. You haven't changed one bit," Hayden mocked.

Preston laughs, "You're right. I haven't." Preston looks at me. His smile widens. "I know someone who has though. I see Rylee Scott got fine as hell since middle school. I wonder what those lips tas-" Preston continues, but the idea of him kissing her infuriates me. I lunge for him, but Hayden grabs me before I punch him.