Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rylee

Note: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot was written by me and not copied from any other writer.

It's the day everyone has anticipated. The last game of the season. The game that determines whether or not we regain our title as champions. We were all awaiting the announcement of the rival team. There were a few schools that had similar records, and the association needed to evaluate the numbers to determine who would play against us. The school decided to have a prep rally after lunch, so I was patiently anticipating it. Theo is nervous. It's his first Championship game as the leading quarterback. He's held my hands throughout all the classes we shared, and those we didn't, he practically ran to find me afterward. It was sweet.

Our relationship was progressing nicely. Despite our differences, Theo and I just meshed so well. He was patient and understanding with me. He listened when I vented, and he knew the right words to say to comfort me. Everyone seemed to notice we were together after Theo and I displayed a few affectionate moments in the halls. It was so much deeper than the first few weeks when we were together under the ritual restrictions.

Our relationship seemed to keep Theo in high spirits, too. He was almost perfect. While he wasn't the most outgoing individual, I could definitely see the change in the way he spoke to people. He was more amiable, and people noticed. It didn't matter to me. As long as he kept liking me, everything was okay.

When the bell rang for lunch, I met Theo talking to Hayden by the cafeteria entrance. He seemed a bit annoyed which is usual, even for Theo. I increase my pace and make it in time to hear the last of Hayden's statement.

"...just ignore him."

"Ignore who?" I ask, gaining the attention of the two boys who were too entranced in their conversation to see me. Theo frowns and clasps my hand. He pulls me toward him and wraps an arm around my waist. He smells amazing as usual.

Hayden sighs, "Coach just revealed the opposing team to us."

"Who are we playing?"

Hayden looks to Theo, "Trevdale High." I freeze. Trevdale? Again? Theo barely survived the regular in season game against them. It was the very game that got him benched. It was the game that broke us up. I guess this explains why Theo's grasp on me was tighter than usual. I look up to him. He's frowning, really frowning. His eyebrows are furrowed in what I can only interpret as worry.

I turn to Hayden, "Hey, we will meet you and Mikah at the table in a few. I need a moment with Theo," I tell him. He nods, giving me a reassuring look. I look up at Theo, directing him to follow me with a nod. He doesn't resist but follows willingly behind me with our hands clasp together. I lead us to the basketball gym. The temperature is cooler, so the basketball players are outside, leaving the gym empty. I lead him near the bleachers. He takes a seat, pulling me into his lap.

He embraces me and rests his head on my shoulder. He exhales out loud. I know he's bothered. I mean why wouldn't he be? Considering the circumstances of the last game, he has all reasons to be concerned.

"Talk to me, O," I whisper, stroking my fingers through his hair.

"Why does it have to be Trevdale, Ry?" He groans, rubbing his face into my shoulder. It was moments like this which reminded me of how immature and childish he could be sometimes. I wouldn't dare mention it as I knew how delicate the subject was for him.

"It doesn't matter, babe. You're going to be amazing, and we're going to win."

"We almost lost the game because of me, Ry." He looks up at the ceiling of the gym and then back at me. He continues, "I don't know if I can take him saying anything to you." His fist clenched. His eyes were narrowed and oozing frustration.

"Don't listen to him."

"Rylee, seeing him next to you boils my blood. Seeing you smile at him aggravates me. Knowing he meant something to you at a point in your life makes me so upset." He spits between clenched teeth. My arms wrap around his neck, and he looks up at me.

"He is the past. You are my present and hopefully my future. What he has is nothing to what I have and will continue to give you. I'm your girl. Can you be the strong Devenport man I know and crush Trevdale?" Theo smiles, hearing my reassurance. He nods in agreement with my request. I kiss his lips to remind him of what we are.

"Can you promise me something, Ry?" Theo asks, gazing with soft sweet eyes. I nod in agreement. Anytime Theo was like this, I could promise him the world.

"If we win-No, when we win this game, will you wear this?" He asks, reaching into the pockets of his varsity jacket. He pulls out a small blue box. I gasp. Theo opens it to reveal a beautiful ring. It was a silver ring with an infinity sign. In the middle was a small bluestone. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

"Theo, its-" I stumbled to find the right words to express my thoughts. While it was a beautiful ring, we were too young to be wearing promise rings. Our relationship was so fresh and new. We were not in a position to make a serious commitment.

"It's a promise ring. I want you to wear it. I know everything is new with us, and we're so young, but wear it on a necklace until you're ready to make that promise with me." He says, gazing intensely at me with the box still clutched in his hand.

"You sure, Theo?"

He interjects, "Rylee, it is only you for me. I don't need anyone else. It's you. But, I know your feelings for me are new and fresh, so I'm willing to wait until they match mines. So, wear it on a necklace until you're ready to place it on your finger. I'll wait for you."

Seeing him so serious and vulnerable takes my breath away, and before I could give it another thought, I nod. He hands me the box, and I stare at the ring. It was so beautiful, and it represented so much to Theo. I smile up at him and welcome his kiss. Things were heavy between us now, but there was something about his kisses that lighten the whole experience.