chapter 1

hi, everyone. So, um new fanfic. this is actually the first fanfic I've ever posted, so, no hard feelings:) Trying to juggle this with GCSE work isn't gonna be easy but I'm determined to finish it. I'm totally open to constructive criticism and, well, hate if you want to crush my dreams. I totally want reviews... though I'll be happy if I even get reads. Ok enough rambling.

disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN HARRY POTTER.

Astoria Greengrass defined the definition of plain. She wore her long auburn curls loosely around her shoulders; framing her pale, lightly freckled face. Her emerald coloured eyes were latched onto a book, taking in every word. Not a single soul would be able to grab her attention, not that a single soul would want to grab her attention. Astoria Greengrass was considered a bit of an outcast within the Slytherin common room. The Slytherin who, well, wasn't really a Slytherin.

She would never laugh and retch when Harry Potters name would be brought up. She never sneered and stuck her nose in the air when a Hufflepuff walked past. She just didn't seem to belong in Slytherin, she would much rather curl up in the far corner of the common room with her nose in a book.

Unlike her sister, Astoria didn't have many friends. preferring books to people had its upsides, though. She finished very top of her class every year but, unlike many typical know-it-all's she was timid and shy, therefore all the teachers combined could probably count on one hand the amount of times she spoke in class.

'Draco, Draco! get up you lazy arsehole!' Pansy and Draco were arguing, again. Astoria wished they would stop. Pansy's screeching was giving her a headache, it had been going on for days now. why didn't Draco just go to class? was he that intent on showing his fathers powers that he didn't go to the most feared teachers class just because he knew the Carrows were scared of Lucius? the other Slytherins may find it commendable but to Astoria he was acting like a pathetic, co-dependant coward. Always looking for Daddy's approval, wanting to be feared, just like his father.

A small part of Astoria felt sorry for Draco. He set a very high bar, the Malfoy name rests on him. Centuries and centuries of wizards, many of whom have done great things. It wasn't a nice time to have that resting on your shoulders. his parents had very high expectations. She pondered this for a second, but as she snuck another glance through her hair all she could manage to feel for him was great dislike, as he lay across the couch smirking at Pansy's livid pug-like face.

'You never do a thing I tell you, Draco!' Pansy screaked, a wild look in her eye. 'I don't have to take orders from you.' Draco smirked, leaning further back in his position. He seemed to really enjoy winding her up and he was, admittedly, very good at it. Pansy looked like she might explode any second now. 'we're supposed to be getting married!' Pansy's voice went straight through Astoria. If it raised any higher in pitch we might not be able to hear it at all. A couple of second years left the room left the room at this point. Pansy's face now uncannily resembled Astoria's old dog and she had to stifle and laugh in her sleeve. 'Wow I never would have guessed, it's not like you told the whole school on our first day back.' Draco's voice was laced with sarcasm as Pansy abruptly turned and stormed out of the common room without another word.

Draco's face immediately fell as soon as Pansy left the room. He stood up and ran and hand through his bleach blonde hair. Astoria suddenly wished she could melt into the wall. This wasn't Draco's normal demeanour and he obviously didn't realise she was in the room. She flicked a page and Draco immediately jumped and spun around so fast it was almost a blur. Astoria continued to study one word in her book seemingly unconcerned, until Draco finally regained control of himself. 'get out' he spat through his teeth. As Astoria looked up, she raised her eyebrows and glaring into his icy grey eyes she simply said 'no'.

Draco looked surprised for a second. No one said 'no' to Draco Malfoy. Especially not an insignificant little fifth year. 'no?' he asked as though he hadn't heard her correctly. 'That's right' she said, still staring him down. Draco got an uneasy feeling as she watched. He felt like she could see right into his soul with those eyes. His lip curled just like his fathers before he hesitated, and his broad shoulders slumped again and he sighed, rolling his eyes. ' whatever, stay there you little freak, I've got better things to be doing than wasting my time with you' he sneered at her and strode from the room, kicking a book across the floor as he went.

Astoria sat there gaping for a second. She had not expected that, the normal Draco Malfoy wouldn't have let her cheek slide, and he would have more than likely threw in a famous 'my father will hear about this', and then a couple of days later she would be expecting an angry letter from her father telling her to do as she's told and respect Malfoy.

Although her parents weren't Death Eaters and had nothing to do with the dark lord, they still always stood by his cause and supported his anti-muggle views. Astoria stood up, 'strange' she thought, as she made her way to the door, clutching her potions book. Now that she thought about it, Draco looked a bit unwell. His skin was paler than normal, he looked thin and he had dark circles under his eyes, as if he wasn't getting enough sleep. Sure, there was a war going on and we all know he's a Death Eater, but the dark lord has taken over the school. He should, in theory, have nothing to fear.

Astoria pondered this as she made her way along the hallways, towards the library where the rest of her class was panicking over OWL work they had left until last minute. 'hello Astoria', she heard a familiar dreamy voice say from behind her. A wide grin broke across her freckled face as she turned around. 'hey, Luna! Where are you headed?' Luna grimaced at Astoria's words. 'Carrow. Detention.'

'Oh' was all Astoria could say, everyone knew that detentions with the Carrows meant being chained up in the dungeons whilst they experimented with Filch's numerous torture devices, or else act as a guinea pig during the third years unforgivable curses lessons. 'well, goodluck' she said quietly, furrowing her eyebrows as she worried for her friend. 'I hope they're not too hard on you'

'Oh its nothing, don't worry about me.' Luna waved her hand, as if swatting an annoying fly. 'I'm used to it by now.' Astoria smiled weakly. Anyone but Luna would be a trembling bundle of nerves, but she seemed perfectly at ease. 'well, I'll not make you late.' Luna threw her long hair over her shoulder. 'Thank you. bye' 'see you' Astoria muttered as Luna glided down the long hall, her hair blowing behind her.

The bell that signalled the end of last period rang. Astoria looked up from her book as gangs of students filed in and out of the library. 'Astoria.' Astoria jumped, startled as a high-pitched, girly voice called her name. 'Daphne, what are you doing in the library? Where's your pack of girls?' She said, a slight hint of sarcasm lacing her voice. 'Ok, yes, I know. You have a right to be pissed, We haven't talked in forever.' Astoria only glared at her, so she continued. 'I heard that you've been talking to that Lovegood girl, again. You know she's not good company to keep. We've talked about this!'

'Oh so that's it, then! two months of straight up ignoring me then you come up to me and tell me who my friends are! I won't have it Daphne, go back to ignoring me, it's easier for both of us!' Astoria stood there, her hands on the table, fuming. 'I'm only telling you for-' 'for my own good?! Where were you last week when I needed you? save it Daphne, I don't care.' Daphne stood there looking slightly guilty as her sister slung her heavy bag over her shoulder and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her. The entire library was silent. Everyone stared in shock at the door and then at Daphne. Even Madam Pince was stunned into silence. That was probably the most anyone had ever heard Astoria Greengrass say in her entire time at the school.

Angry tears were streaming down her face as Astoria stomped straight to her dormitory. She felt slightly guilty for going off at her sister but she deserved it. 'Daphne was the only person that knew her secret. Therefore she was the only person able to help her.' She thought as she pulled her half-complete transfiguration essay from her bag. She set into work thinking abut her sisters selfishness.